help with wisteria

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mrduna01

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey everyone. I recently got several branches of wisteria and upon getting them the leaves look healthy but are droopy and kind of curled up. They remain that way today but it has only been three days. I have it under 1.5 to 2 wpg with liquid ferts, liquid co2 and floramax substrate. Should I remove the leaves and wait for new growth or leave them be?
Thanks everyone!

Water wisteria

Hello Mr...

Wow! You have a lot of nutrients going through your tank. Water wisteria is a medium light plant, so 2 wpg of tank volume may be a little on the high end for this particular plant.

It can take several weeks, even a couple of months for aquatic plants to get used to new tank conditions. CO2 is a nice addition, but all you really need to keep plants is a lot of clean, treated water flushed through the tank regularly, a lot of fish and decent lighting.

I'd give the Wisteria a little time to get used to your tank conditions. Just leave things as they are for a few more weeks and while you're waiting, change a minimum of half the tank water every week. You're dosing enough ferts, so I don't think you need to do much else.

B

BBradbury said:
Hello Mr...

Wow! You have a lot of nutrients going through your tank. Water wisteria is a medium light plant, so 2 wpg of tank volume may be a little on the high end for this particular plant.

It can take several weeks, even a couple of months for aquatic plants to get used to new tank conditions. CO2 is a nice addition, but all you really need to keep plants is a lot of clean, treated water flushed through the tank regularly, a lot of fish and decent lighting.

I'd give the Wisteria a little time to get used to your tank conditions. Just leave things as they are for a few more weeks and while you're waiting, change a minimum of half the tank water every week. You're dosing enough ferts, so I don't think you need to do much else.

B

Hey thanks B! I take it a lot of nutrients is good right? Lol. I actually wanted to use this tank as plant only for the time being. Is that doable? I will give it some time... Just didn't know if these poor looking leaves need to be trimmed to promote healthier growth. This is a 10 gallon that only has this wisteria and one small sword that only has one leaf. I wanted to try my hand at a couple plants on a small scale before I jump in to a full planted tank. Thanks for the advice.

So the stems on the wisteria are growing like mad now but the leaves are not growing out with it. Kind of looks like a big twig. Maybe I should cut them and plant the cutting to start filling things in a bit?

Back
Top Bottom