help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pamala225

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I sat my tank up about a month and half ago.....started out fine ...but now seems to have a cloudy problem...dont know how to fix it....kinda new to the fish world

Hello,

Could you tell us in full detail to what happened and what you did to the tank the previous day?
From what you are saying, it sounds like a bacteria bloom, but I could be wrong. If it is a bacteria bloom, keep check in your parameters

I cleaned it a couple days before but also added two small catfish and two small algae eaters.....but it don't seem like the cloudy is clearing up at all ....the water test is all good

It's like a white cloud...only changed water once...and just a top fin filter

I would recommend a regular water change routine, sounds like a bacterial bloom to me. Time and some maintenance will take care of it.

This is all new to me...meaning regular how often....and is bacterial bloom a bad thing I guess

This is all new to me...meaning regular how often....and is bacterial bloom a bad thing I guess

In this case actually, a bacterial bloom is a good thing ... it shows the bacteria that you NEED is establishing itself in the tank. It will clear up with PWC's and time. A couple of questions.
1.Do you have an API test master kit? If you are using test strips, they are notoriously unreliable.
2. How large is the tank?
3. What type of top fin filter exactly?
(I'm not familiar with them so I don't know if you have adequate filtration.)

Since your tank is cycling you want to keep monitoring the ammo and nitrites keep the ammo under 0.25ppm. Your parameters will dictate your how many PWC's you need to do .. but be prepared to do one a day.

Hi and welcome to AA!

How did you "clean" the tank? Even though the manufacturers say to change the filters every month or so, don't do it! Any bacteria that the tank needs to stay healthy lives on the filter and changing it can cause a lot of problems. Once every few weeks or so just swish it around in OLD tank water when doing a water change (never tap water!).

You should get a liquid test kit if you don't have one and monitor your water for ammonia, nitrites, nitrates each week. You should also be doing water changes at least once per week to keep the tank healthy. Any tap water that goes into the tank should also be treated with dechlorinator - Prime is best. How large is the tank? Is it heated?

This article will help: I just learned about cycling but I already have fish. What now?!

The cloudiness could be a bacterial bloo; is it white and milky or another color?

The tank is 29 gallons and it is heated....then today I had a pot belly something start swimming really funny....like nose diving in circles...what is that

Back
Top Bottom