Help!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lanie

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I am in desperate need of advice. We bought my son a ten gallon aquarium. We set it up and let it run about 10 days, went to buy the fish and was told we needed a heater (they didnt tell us that one any of our other four trips there). So we buy the heater, the thermometer, put it in and began monitoring the temperature. The temperature stayed consistant, so after about 36 hours we went to buy the fish. (Yay! We were excited!) We got a pictus catfish, 3 tiger barbs and 1 rainbow shark. Took them home, let their bags float in the aquarium about 45 minutes, released them, and enjoyed watching them the rest of the day. The next day (yesterday) we got home and my son found two of the tiger barbs dead. Last night, we lost the pictus and the other tiger barb. This morning, the rainbow was still with us but I was very surprised that he was and am not expecting to find him alive this afternoon. This was a huge disappointment for us. And even though it was a ten gallon tank, I have spent quite alot of money altogether, plus, we live in a small town so it is about a 45-50 mile drive to the pet store (yes, the superstore kind) so if you counted the gas money burned it really is expensive. What should I do next? I am so frustrated. Thanks friends in advance for any suggestions! ps....I am reading info for newbies, too.

Hello and welcome to the forum.

You were given really bad advice as to how to start up a new tank. Please read this thread: I just learned about cycling but I already have fish. What now?!

I'm also going to have you read this: The (almost) Complete Guide and FAQ to Fishless Cycling

Your tank was very poorly stocked. The shark needs about a 75 gallon tank. Pictus need to be kept in groups of 5 or more and also need a very large tank. In my opinion, tiger barbs are not a good candidate for this tank either. They are highly aggressive and need a good number in their school to help deplete the aggression.

You need to return the shark and, if I were you, I'd do a fishless cycle (less stress for you and fish).

We can help you put together a healthy stocking plan for this tank.

Research is your best friend in this hobby. :)

Have to 100% agree with Lynda B.

You were not given poor advice, you were given Crappy Piss Poor Advice:nono:! A 10gal is really only suitable for smaller ... Nano Fish, all the ones you purchased need much larger tanks.

For now, follow her advice on returning the shark and proper cycling. Once your tank's established, we will gladly offer you proper stocking advice. In the interim, keep us posted on the cycling process ... plenty of experienced aquarists to help along the way.(y)

Good Luck!

Back
Top Bottom