Heres a question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chronos313

Aquarium Advice Addict
O I did water changes in both my tanks today. Now my question is that how common is it that a water change can trigger a very pregnant platy to drop fry? I'll post pics of big momma in a little while. I'm just curious to know cuz she's been stubborn for over a month and has not dropped yet she's showing eyes in her belly

Doing a PWC can stress your inhabitants. Stress can cause the females to drop their fry early. I'm guess that is what happened in your case.

She hasnt dropped any yet. I've been waiting impatiently for over a month. I'll post a current pic of her a little later when the wife brings my camera home. This platy is so big I'm expecting her to capsize. The only other fish in the tank is a pregnant guppy

Your Question

O I did water changes in both my tanks today. Now my question is that how common is it that a water change can trigger a very pregnant platy to drop fry? I'll post pics of big momma in a little while. I'm just curious to know cuz she's been stubborn for over a month and has not dropped yet she's showing eyes in her belly

Hello Chronos...

It was the rush of pure, treated tap water flowing into the tank. I've seen the same response from my Fancy Guppies. By improving the water conditions in your tank, it triggered the female to produce the fry. If you want to see more fry, then raise the temperature of the new water 3 or 4 degrees.

I do large, weekly water changes in my tanks and raise the temp of the new water just a little and it typically causes the females close to giving birth to drop fry. My tropical fish love new water that's a little warmer.

B

Thanks! I'll monitor her the rest of the day and I'll try to do another pwc tomorrow or the next day. I have the temp up to 82. I'm thinking shell drop soon cuz she hides and hangs out by the heater all the time.

this is big momma, she keeps getting bigger and I'm sure she's been holding for almost two months. I can see eyes in her belly but she won't let go. Stubborn fish. Any thoughts? I also don't let my fish drop into a breeding net I let it happen in the tank. I just wanna see what she has had brewing inside her color wise.

Don't they like a little salt in their water? Do you have any in there, maybe she's holding for the right conditions. I don't have them, but read a tablespoon for 5 gal. please verify...

I added just a bit as my snails hate salt. It's odd cuz my other platy twinnie dropped all her fry about 2 or so weeks ago so I don't know what this one is waiting for

Here's a Question

Don't they like a little salt in their water? Do you have any in there, maybe she's holding for the right conditions. I don't have them, but read a tablespoon for 5 gal. please verify...

Asky...

You're correct about the salt. Livebearers especially will benefit from a little standard aquarium salt in the tank water. A tablespoon is a little high though. Aquatic plants don't tolerate that much. I do use it, but just a little more than a teaspoon for every five gallons of replacement water. Maintains a healthy fish immune system.

B

Back
Top Bottom