Here's what's going down...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Morticus

Aquarium Advice Freak
My cycle is finished, reading:

Amm - 0
Trite - 0
Trate - 20
PH - 8.2
SG - 1.024
Temp - 78F

I am about to do the water change to lower the Nitrate. I have 20# keys and 20# gulf lr.com arriving on Wensday. I ordered a calcium test and Reef Advantage Calcium to help with corraline on the keys. After the lr is in I will be ordering a cleanup crew and a couple cleaner shrimp.

Is there anything special I need to do when the lr arrives? This is my understanding: Have lights off, open box, take out rock/hitchikers, dump them in the tank, let them be for a little while, then aquascape.

The main reason you let them be is so the sand can settle after you stirr it up (So you can see what you are doing).

I dont know why you would need the lights off, unless you didnt want to spook hitchhikers.

I would let the live rock cure for a while after sticking it in your tank. Even though some live rock is said to be treated, it's always a good idea to cure it yourself. Let it sit in your tank with some good flow and lighting for a week or two before adding any livestock. Just keep an eye on your water parameters..you're more than likely going to have some nitrate spikes because of the unpreventable die off from the rock. This was at least the case with me..HTH.

when you put the live rock in the tank you are going to have a spike while it cures. Make sure it cycles again. Then add your tankmates. Wish you the best

Back
Top Bottom