Hey and Excited to Be HERE! Wild Fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LEBEANPOLE

Aquarium Advice Regular
I recently got "my" first tank since I was 14 and my brothers used to keep fish tanks. I've always love the peace and grace they bring to a room. I got my 36 gal tank set up this morning and am really hoping to start a local wild fish tank like one my brother had years ago. I plan to let it run for three to five days before I introduce any fish. I want Bass, Perch, Snails (not wild caught), Crawfish, and some Grass Shrimp. I'm planning to set up a few minnow and fish traps this weekend to catch some very small specimens. I know it's a little small for some larger bass and I can't over populate with perch, but I do have a pond in the yard that can handle my fish once they get too big. That leads me to three Q's:

First in a new tank do I really need to keep to the introduce two to three fish rule?
Will perch antagonize my 14" Koi?
Will Aquarium fish bring disease to my pound and how can I combat this?

I'll stop there and ask the other one hundred and thirty-seven q's I have later.

So bacteria drops aren't going to get my tank ready for tons of wild fish. Thanks. I'll try to start with two smaller ones. I hope my traps work and I can find some good species. How long should I wait to add a second pair or Crawfish?

LEBEANPOLE said:
So bacteria drops aren't going to get my tank ready for tons of wild fish. Thanks. I'll try to start with two smaller ones. I hope my traps work and I can find some good species. How long should I wait to add a second pair or Crawfish?

No bacteria starters/booster usually don't contain the right bacteria or they are dead from lack of oxygen and temp fluctuations. I would wait until your tank is fully cycled to add any more fish. There is a link in the article I added in my above post that explains the best way to do a fish in cycle without harming any fish. (y)

Read up and added some pure ammonia today. Things are good and the heater and bacteria have clouded the water so it seems to be a start. I'm now Facebooking the world to try and find some seeding material. Thanks for all the advice.

LEBEANPOLE said:
Read up and added some pure ammonia today. Things are good and the heater and bacteria have clouded the water so it seems to be a start. I'm now Facebooking the world to try and find some seeding material. Thanks for all the advice.

Well done! Keep us posted on your progress :)

BTW I bought a liquid master test kit by API. Should that be OK? And how long after the test are run will the colors stay true.....meaning when it says let stand for "five minutes" and I let it stand for ten, twenty, thirty should the test be cool. I don't anticipate this mind you I was just wrapping my brain around folks with five or more tanks and so on.

LEBEANPOLE said:
BTW I bought a liquid master test kit by API. Should that be OK? And how long after the test are run will the colors stay true.....meaning when it says let stand for "five minutes" and I let it stand for ten, twenty, thirty should the test be cool. I don't anticipate this mind you I was just wrapping my brain around folks with five or more tanks and so on.

Sounds good! If you let it stand for any longer than the 5 minutes you can get a wrong reading so it's best to read your results right on the 5 minutes.

No problem. I've found a wealth of info here and have been loving the photos. My wife might not be happy I've got this into AA, but that's only cause we're now "FISHLESS". LOL

Back
Top Bottom