Hey guys, newb here with some q’s

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

R6fishguy

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi everybody, very new to the fish/aquarium scene, I was given a 125 gallon tank and I want to put it to good use.
The tank came with everything needed but the more research I’m doing, the more this stuff seems obsolete. There a canister filter, under gravel and the top mount/fountain style as well.
I’m going to just upgrade the works to a Fluval fx4, and a new heater. Is there anything anything else I absolutely need, like an air pump for a bubble wall or anything like that?

Deciding on which type of fish you want to keep would be ideal.

That way you would be able to get items you would really need and not waste too much cash.

Cichlids would need a different set up than a Tetra centric planted community tank.

Bubble walls are just for fun, and not needed in a planted tank. One exception would be if it were a fancy Goldfish tank, then having extra aeration would be a plus.

You are solid with a really good filter, though I would go with the fx-6 for such a small amount of money difference new. But if you have it already or had one you are planning on getting then what ever works best for the budget. That is a big tank and all the extra filtration you can get shouldn't be a bad thing.

Filters say they run a certain GPH -(gallons per hour) but once the filter media is stocked up and then it gets some age in it, and some muck, the number go down quite a bit. I think they run gph with no media, and brand new, so it gets a better rating. They all rate it that way though.

Again knowing which direction it will go /build for the new resident, will help a lot.

Usually a heater is needed but sometimes you don't really need one in a warmish house if you have Fancy Goldies, but if you have a tank of German Blue Rams you would want a bigger one to make the tank warmer.

Substrate is different too for who goes in it.

A liquid master test kit is a good start! API has a decent one and online they are cheap to buy. Top of the list of things to have.

Thermometer.

Container/tub/Tank for quarantine tank aka QT. Air pump, hose and air stone with a check valve is important to have for the QT and as a back up for a damaged filter situation.

What are your water parameters out of the tap? That also might help you decide what to house. Extremes like super hard or soft water can make a big difference in how easy to keep some kinds of fish will be.

Also there is an article link in my signature about being new to aquarium keeping and it is a great help with lots of info!

Thanks, I’ve been reading through your link, lots of great info. That’ll definitely get me pointed in the right direction

Glad to hear. Reading up on things is easier and less expensive than making ALL the mistakes yourself. And there will be some along the way, just how it goes.

Back
Top Bottom