Hey there! What do you think of this stocking of fish in a 60g?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NODAK1979

Aquarium Advice Activist
We've had our aquarium for a couple of months now...had some help with the cycle from an experienced aquariest....and now have what I would consider a "stocked" aquarium.

I'm posting here to get thoughts on how good the mix is...and, more importantly, if I am over or understocked.

So here is what I have in a 60 gallon:

4x Angelfish
4x Boesemani rainbows
5x German Blue Rams
4x Glass Catfish
1x Red fin pleco

How does that sound?? I know the rams are sensitive but so far so good.

Welcome to AA!

Personally, I think your just a bit overstocked.

A good general rule when it comes to stocking angelfish is 10 gallons per adult angelfish. Since you have 4 (40 gallons), that means you have 20 gallons left for everyone else.

I would recommend getting rid of a least 2 of the angels and 3 of the rams. This will maybe make you stock and it will give you less of a chance of pairing.

So here is what I have in a 60 gallon:

4x Angelfish
4x Boesemani rainbows
5x German Blue Rams
4x Glass Catfish
1x Red fin pleco

I'd say you're overstocked. All the plecos I found that are sold as "red fin" plecos reach a foot in length, give or take a couple inches. The angels and rainbows don't stay small either. I'd be impressed if you can keep five GBRs in that tank. Everything I've read says they usually die off until you're left with a pair.

As for AqAdvisor, it's a decent tool, but it's definitely not the final authority on stocking. I find it too conservative. Better conservative than optimistic, but it's conservative almost to the point of losing credibility.

Thanks everybody for the input. I definitely wouldn't be opposed to rehoming a couple of the angelfish. As for the GBR's, those are a fish my wife INSISTED on having. So, we shall see how well it works out. Many stores around here that I called refuse to even carry them because they're so sensitive.

I also just put my aquarium into the link you all provided and it said 130 percent. Yikes. Even if it is a conservative site, 30 percent is quite a bit of overstocking. Again, maybe the solution is cutting down on angels.

Back
Top Bottom