Hey

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Katfish85

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Katfish85 said:
Hey everyone,
I'm really new to all of this but hope to gain more knowledge of fish care as I have two goldfish that I have adopted from a friend.
I have a 35 litre tank although I feel this may be a bit small for two at 2 1/2 inches long.
I am having a bit of a problem tho one of my fish has just recently got a wound on its side which appears to by bulging with a with substance I am extremely confused as to what this is and how it has happened. Does anyone have an idea what it could be?
I do a water change every two weeks (is this frequent enough?) and they appear to have been fine up to now.
I am a complete novice when it comes to my fish but I do worry I'm doing the wrong thing if anyone has any ideas I'd really appreciate it x
Ive attached some pics

I'm pretty sure that tank is extremely small for goldfish, especially for 2. I don't have them but from what I understand from what I've read is that goldfish have EXTREMELY high bio loads and need at the very least 20 gallons PER FISH. so you should definitely rehome or purchase a larger tank because if they don't need it immediately, they will need it pretty soon.
As for your white scape/cut thing, it looks like a possibly serious infection, but I have no experience with infections at all so I hope someone can give you some advice. People who stick with goldfish absolutely love them so I hope you get things fixed and get to enjoy your new fish!

Thank you so much for your advice.
I am definitely going to invest in a new tank this weekend to see if we can save the littlen. I have kept them in the same tank since i adopted them from a friend who gave me the tank at the same time i have changed all the stones and ornaments and the tank appears to stay cleaner for longer but after further research you are totally right they need at least 10 gallons per fish dependant on size.
I'm still baffled by the scape/cut but hopefully someone will be able to shed some light on it before she dies :)

Thank you again for your advice I really appreciate it x

Welcome to AA!

Yes, the tank is way too small. Generally, the guideline is 20 gallons for the first Goldfish and an additional 10 gallon for each additional Goldfish. So, you will need at least a 30 gallon tank, possibly larger as the fish grow. Your water change schedule needs increasing also. Until you get a bigger tank you should be doing 50% water changes every day. After you get a bigger tank you can go down to 50% weekly.

If the fish with the injury is acting fine then lots of fresh clean water will help. Again, 50% water changes daily until they are in a bigger tank.

Hey Blert
Thank you for your advice on this I will definitely be looking into this and will start doing 50% water change daily until I get this tank.
The injured fish is definitely giving me cause for concern as she is not eating and swimming close to the surface a lot, she also lists to the left when she tries to swim in a straight line and seems very still a lot of the time.
Any ideas what i could do to help speed up her recovery I use Aquasafe and medifix when i do 100% change due to both fish regularly getting cloudy eyes and having danaged scales when i got them they were not very well looked after.
As i am so new to this any advice will be gratefully received.

Katfish85 said:
Hey Blert
Thank you for your advice on this I will definitely be looking into this and will start doing 50% water change daily until I get this tank.
The injured fish is definitely giving me cause for concern as she is not eating and swimming close to the surface a lot, she also lists to the left when she tries to swim in a straight line and seems very still a lot of the time.
Any ideas what i could do to help speed up her recovery I use Aquasafe and medifix when i do 100% change due to both fish regularly getting cloudy eyes and having danaged scales when i got them they were not very well looked after.
As i am so new to this any advice will be gratefully received.

As far as what meds to use, I tend to avoid them as much as possible so hopefully someone will come along with suggestions for you concerning that. Their health issues are likely from being in such a small tank. Lots and lots of clean water is what they need.

I agree with Blert- lots of clean water right now & a much bigger tank (30-40g). You also must invest in a good liquid test kit such as the API fw master test kit. I suspect there may be water quality issues happening here as well due to the move and tank cleaning. Its vital that your are able to test your water accurately for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate & ph. When you get a larger tank, move the present filter over to the new tank along with the new filter to help seed the new tank.

If both fish have cloudy eyes, its most likely from living in a toxic environment- this may or may not clear up with time & healthy water depending on how badly they were burned from toxins. Damaged /missing scales will also heal on their own with healthy water- no meds necessary. On the injured fish (cant tell from the pic), does there appear to be white fuzz/tufts hairs coming from the wound? Or is there a anything unusual sticking out from it (such as a 'Y' shaped worm)? I can see its white & quite inflamed around the outside but nothing specific.

Hey Jlk
Thank you for your advice I will have to have a look around for a water testing kit for sure.
I wasn't aware you needed to test the water for things like that I thought that was only for tropical and marines I defo need to do some more research lol.

I checked the wound on the injured fish today and the puss like white stuff coming out of the wound appears to have gone it just looks very red and raw now.
There isn't anything sticking out of the would thankfully but the white substance that was originally coming out of it has fallen off.

I have down a full tank clean to get rid of all the toxic water in the tank and hopefully this will help her to heal but i am defo on the hunt for a brand new tank filter etc this weekend.

she's still very still and barely swimming but only time will tell if she will get better i guess but i'll keep up a regular routine and see what happens :)

Fingers crossed thank you again i really appreciate the advice the more i get the better i will get :)

Back
Top Bottom