Hi everyone

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

madaboutshrimp

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello everyone, I'm Natalie. I'm *relatively*new to the fish world(tropical fish world to be exact) and I know very little about proper tank setup/care. I actually owned a 90 gallon freshwater tank many many years ago, 12 to be exact, which housed 2 goldfish and a sucker fish(no idea what it's actually called). I had the 3 of them for about 5 years. It was pretty amazing to see how big they all got! One goldfish ended up about the size of a grapefruit while the other was close to the size of a small kiwi and the sucker fish ended up getting almost as long as the tank. Every time he'd get a wild hair he'd zip to the other end of the tank, completely knocking over every plant and object in the tank. They were hilarious but after having my first child the maintenance became too much and we ended up giving the tank and fish away(totally kicking myself for giving away a 90 gallon tank and stand).

My daughter(the 6yo) has been begging for fish for going on 2 years now so after doing some much needed bedroom additions we finally caved and let my mother in law set up a small 10 gallon tank for her. Well, unfortunately none of the fish made it except for one, a neon yellow glofish, which we've since named TLS(tough little sucker). I tried to stay out of the way of the tank care since the whole project was going to be a grandma/granddaughter thing but once the fish started dropping like flies I stepped in to take action, which is how I came across this forum.

The tank has been running for just over a week now and I've had to do some serious magic to keep TLS from dying but he's doing very very well and as soon as I get the 20 gallon tank I just purchased through it's cycling period I plan to transfer the little guy over there and use the 10 gal. as a hospital tank.

I've never had to do so much research in my life as I did when trying to save TLS from the fish version of Chernobyl :nono:. Really I want to just say a big THANK YOU to this entire community because if I hadn't found you guys I don't know if TLS would have made it. So :thanks: and I hope to solicit much more priceless aquarium information from all of you in the future:brows:!

Last edited:
welcome to AA.the glofish is actually a specifically bred(for that colour gene)zebra danio,so will appreciate a school once you move it to the 20.

welcome to AA.the glofish is actually a specifically bred(for that colour gene)zebra danio,so will appreciate a school once you move it to the 20.
Yeah I really hate for the little guy to be alone and I don't want to keep him cooped up in the 10g tank since apparently the breed is very active. I'll probably talk my daughter into having at least 5 of them, possibly more. I'd also like to have a shrimp or two but I'm trying really hard not to get too far ahead of myself. I've still got to put water in the tank first!

I sure am trying! I can't take another meltdown by my 6 year old. It was horrible watching her bawl over her 'babies' as she calls them.

Thank you all for the warm welcome!:dance:

your very welcome,and good job doing whgats best for your fish:fish2::fish2::fish1::fish1::fish2:

Back
Top Bottom