Hi Everyone

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bembring

Aquarium Advice Newbie
:fish2:

I like this forum, lots of great info and advice.
When I was a kid my dad had a 10 gallon tank with underground filter.
I am in my 40s and got my son into fish, the tank is in his room.

Currently have a 19 gallon tank with
Marineland Penguin 200 BIO-Wheel Power Filter
Marineland heater Visi-Therm 100
Air pump with Fin Top Fin 7 inch Bubble Walls
Lightbulb forgot the info but I bought a replacement from local fish store.
Live plants sorry not sure of the name.

Fish
1 Clownloach I have had for 2 years now.
8 Kuliloach I have had for 2 years now.
1 Albino Plecostomus 18 months to 2 years now.
Many ghost shrimp they keep having babies.
3 Dwarf honey Gourami 6 months.
1 Roseline Shark 1 year?

I want bigger tank Petco had a special $69 29 Gallon deluxe kit .
I bought 29 Gallon fish tank.
Need to buy a stand and canister filter.
Heater I have brand new Marineland heater Visi-Therm 100.
My big question is which to buy? Rena XP2 OR Marineland C220
My local fish store says Marineland C220, but they can order Rena XP2 if that is what I want

I do not know which to buy specs copied from manufactures website.

Rena Filstar xP2
xP2: 75 U.S. gal : 300 U.S. gal/hr (280 L 1,150L/hr)

Marineland C220
C220: 55 U.S. gal : 220 U.S. gal/hr

Advice please.

Thank you.

I would advice the Rena even though I really like the Marineland. The rena pushes more water and since you are sending new money on it, I would get the Rena.

Hello. I would also go for the rena. If you ever pack it with media, then the flow will decrease but you will still provide enough flow to push and filter all the water.

Hello. I would also go for the rena. If you ever pack it with media, then the flow will decrease but you will still provide enough flow to push and filter all the water.

Yah, even thought I really like Marineland, the Rena for your money would be better. You always want to get the most flow when buying a filter.

Hi Terrance, what kind of filter do you have?

Thank you.

I have a custom sump setup in my thirty gallon and would be glad explaining that to you if you would like. I have a marinland HOB filter 350 and a 150. I also have a cheap walmart HOB filter and those are pretty great. I use it for my snail breeding tank for my puffers I will be getting eventually. I also have a DIY canister filter for a 10 gallon tank. Hope this helps!

I started with Aquaclear HOB filters. It was great. Then i went to FLuval FX5 canisters. Those were great too but too much work cleaning it every week. I went back to HOBs. Now i'm getting rid of both and doing a sump, similar to xtra51. Hard learning curve with a sump, but it has the potential to be the best biological, chemical, and mechanical filter if done properly and it hides equipment.

Keep reading reviews before your big purchases and really consider the pros and cons of each. Watch youtube videos of the equipment too!

Terrance said:
I started with Aquaclear HOB filters. It was great. Then i went to FLuval FX5 canisters. Those were great too but too much work cleaning it every week. I went back to HOBs. Now i'm getting rid of both and doing a sump, similar to xtra51. Hard learning curve with a sump, but it has the potential to be the best biological, chemical, and mechanical filter if done properly and it hides equipment.

Keep reading reviews before your big purchases and really consider the pros and cons of each. Watch youtube videos of the equipment too!

Why would you even clean them every week? I've had mine 2 months and still haven't. To much work and kinda useless

Not useless for me. Every time I rinse my filter pad in old tank water, a bunch of stuff comes off the pad. The water becomes slightly brown afterwards. Sometimes I rinse each pad twice. This is for my 120g with one fish - 3inch big.

edit: plus i'm one of those people who advocates underfeeding rather overfeeding.

Hi Everyone,

Update

Amazon I bought a Rena XP2 for $70
Stand I bought this weekend.
Need to buy a Digital Thermometer.
Need to buy gravel
Cant wait almost ready to setup and start the cycle.

Back
Top Bottom