Hi everyone!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Maltesemolly

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi everyone,

I am only three weeks into having a freshwater aquarium (my very first). This is very new to me, and I probably didn't do as much research as I should have to begin with. But, that being said, I am truly enjoying it so far.

I have a 20 gallon tank, and about five days ago got 4 mollies (two dalmatian and two gold dust), 2 ghost shrimp, and 2 little catfish (not sure the exact name).

One problem that cropped up today- I think the two gold dust mollies are male (from what I've been reading) and the dalmatian are female. This afternoon when I went to feed them, the two male mollies started fighting. they are both going after each others bottom fin and one is being more aggressive. I guess my question is, should I buy another tank and try to separate them? Will they hurt each other? Or is it a typical male thing to show dominance? I was under the impression that mollies were peaceful towards each other and other fish. :ermm:

Anyway, I've learned a lot from reading this forum and I plan to post some pictures of the fish and tank soon. :)

Hi everyone,

I am only three weeks into having a freshwater aquarium (my very first). This is very new to me, and I probably didn't do as much research as I should have to begin with. But, that being said, I am truly enjoying it so far.

I have a 20 gallon tank, and about five days ago got 4 mollies (two dalmatian and two gold dust), 2 ghost shrimp, and 2 little catfish (not sure the exact name).

One problem that cropped up today- I think the two gold dust mollies are male (from what I've been reading) and the dalmatian are female. This afternoon when I went to feed them, the two male mollies started fighting. they are both going after each others bottom fin and one is being more aggressive. I guess my question is, should I buy another tank and try to separate them? Will they hurt each other? Or is it a typical male thing to show dominance? I was under the impression that mollies were peaceful towards each other and other fish. :ermm:

Anyway, I've learned a lot from reading this forum and I plan to post some pictures of the fish and tank soon. :)

I haven't been on here for too long, but welcome! Can you post pics of your mollies? Males sometimes look like they're nipping at the females belly when they want to mate, so if one is female that could explain it. On a male Molly, the anal fin is kind of long and pointed in shape. The female's is fan shaped. Sometimes it's easy to mistake a female for a male if the fin is up close to the body when she is swimming, so look when she is moving slowly or not at all.

Hello and Welcome to Aquarium Advice! To help you solve you're problem, I suggest heading to the Freshwater Unhealthy Fish section and posting you're question there with as much details as possible and if necessary, using the Form to post it.
Good Luck!

Thank you for the help, I will try posting my question there. I have just taken pictures of the mollies so I will post the pictures as well.

Thank you for the help, I will try posting my question there. I have just taken pictures of the mollies so I will post the pictures as well.
Let me add if you are not sure, posting in the general section can help give a overview:)

Welcome to AA, we hope ya enjoy!

I wouldn't say it's a sick fish, yet. If it gets picked on for to long it may stress it and then followed by sickness. But battle wounds heal with good water quality. My guess would have to be a breeding thing or two males. I would ask a mod to move your thread from unhealthy fish to freshwater getting started.

Note I no nothing about these type of fish. But thought my two cents may help out a little.

Good luck. :wave:

Back
Top Bottom