Hi New on here need BGK advice!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lisafishguru

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey so this is my first post! So hello :)
we have a wonderful black ghost knife fish called spooky. Originally he was a gift for my boyfriend. he made a wonderful addition to our tank. (Though the seller told me virtually nothing about the speices.) . He is 1 and a half years old now and 7.5 inches long against his 2.5 inch baby I fell in love with in the pet shop.
He's wonderfully healthy and been growing really well. So much so we've bought a huge new home for him, he seems even happier with the new home. All in all he's really happy. The tank levels are normal.
My question being is that his other nickname for a long while has been hannibal, he's fed on a diet of brine shrimp and loves it. But also any other fish we have ever put into the tank.
With his new tank being much larger and some more hiding spots for him. Is there anything we can safely combine him with that he won't eat? I've heard fire mouth fish are a good bet? I've handled them before? I don't want to stress my bgk or new fish by him eating them?
Thanks-

Bgk's are fun. But the common rule for knife fish is anything they can fit in there mouth and moves, they will eat. And there mouth are like snakes. So they can open big. I would look to bigger fish. At least 4-5 inches long to be tank mates with the BGK. I have a brown knife myself. I like seeing him but he hardly comes out during the day. ?

Yeah, they are mysterious hence his name of spooky. I've heard Angel fish can be a good pairing? Guessing as long as they are quite large. He always attacked at night and had a tragic love for eyeballs. Though they had always been peaceful community fish. Reasonably small. He is way too big for fish like that anymore. I just keep reading mixed opinions just want to get it right for both of the fish. Even if it means just not pairing him if he's happy. Though he is fascinating comes out to my voice. Suppose he's a bit like a dog really. Haha
Thanks for answering.
Your friend from across the pond! :)

Well every fish is different. There is alot of websites that can say the exact opposite about a fish and possible tank mates. But it just comes down to trial and error in the end.
Good luck finding tank mates for your BGK

Back
Top Bottom