High nitrates !!!!!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Snype2live

Aquarium Advice Freak
Well I have a 29 gallon tank with 11 endlers , 10 neons, 8 corys(2 three-lines, 6 peppered corys). I feed them a "good" pinch of omega one color enhancing food once a day and i feed my corys 8 shrimp pellets (1 each) a day. my nitrates are jumping to between 10-20 ppm every 2 days . im testing with api master test kit . the tap has no nitrates in it . so my question is what am i doing wrong to make the nitrates get so high ...i did 10 gallon pwc yesterday and nitrate levels are 10 and i did a 10gallon water change yesterday and im running out of test solution ... am i just being paranoid will my fish be okay with just a weekly water change of 10 gallons or do i need to stop feeding as much or go as far as not feed as much and feed every other day ... i dont know realy how often to feed them as ppl say everything from every other day to 2's a day ... btw idk if i mention tank is fishless cycled

I'm guessing it's probably too much food that's left uneaten and decomposing. 8 shrimp pellets is a lot, a whole one seems like a lot for a Cory (I have them too and I don't feed that much lol). Try a 50% water change once per week (or two smaller 25% changes) and vacuum the substrate if you don't already and cut back the pellets to a few pellets every 2-3 days and see if that helps. Also you might want to swish your filter media in old tank water during a water change; food and stuff can get clogged in the filters and decompose and cause nitrate spikes sometimes.

Oh and just in case....count your fish to make sure they are all present and accounted for. :) A sudden spike in levels can sometimes be caused by a dead fish decomposing (although let's hope not :)).

okay so cut down to 4 pelets a day and a pinch of day or should i also move it to every other day and 50 percent water change every week once a week

What I would do is a small pinch of flakes 6 days a week and 4 pellets 2-3 times a week. The cories will be eating flake food that makes it way to the bottom of the tank so they won't starve. :)

Your nitrates aren't high at all, so don't worry about it. I would worry if it's higher than 40

i havent giving it a chance to get up to forty im pretty sure that with if on day one it was 5ppm by day 7 it would be 40 ppm would that be okay ?? as long as it not getting above forty before the water change of 50%

Back
Top Bottom