High nitrates

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Josiehadley

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
How do I lower my nitrates if the tap water I'm using for water changes has high nitrates as well ?

Hi!
U can use a mix of purified water with Tap water, that's what I do and it works well.
Just have a little play with the mix until u get the right level u want

Okay thanks ill give it a try ! Do I just buy water from the grocery store or something?

How high are your nitrates? Or do you mean nitrite?

Tap water typically shouldn't have nitrate levels that are high enough to cause damage to your fish...

If it is nitrate than mixing with bottled water is what you would want. Just regular bottled water, like spring water is fine.

U can buy it from the grocery store or go to ur LFS and buy it from there

It's nitrates for sure , it's like 40-80 [hard to tell on API test kit] but I tested the water at work and it has hardly any, so I will probably just take a few jugs and fill them up next time I'm there.

Wow that is high even if at 40, maybe a call to ur water supplier might be in need!
Where are u from?

If its well water then that explains the high trates. Any municipal water is regulated by the epa and has strict limits on nitrates. Anything over 10ppm is a direct violation. If your using city water then I suggest you be calling someone

We're on a well out in the county, and we have a special tap that we drink from. But it would be too expensive to fill my tanks using that water because the filters and lights for it are super expensive

A RO/DI filter will remove the nitrate, and everything else, from your well water. Of course you will need to use something like 'Replenish' or 'RO-Rite' before you use it in your tank. Will save a fortune in the long run over buying bottled water from the market.

Back
Top Bottom