High Nitrates

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

guppygourami

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hey everyone. I have a 23G tank with around ten juvenile angelfish and their mother. Their father died today and I checked the parameters. Ammonia and nitrites were 0, pH was around 7 but nitrates were in the 40-160ppm range. What can I do to decrease this??? I tested it a few days ago and it was at 40. I've done a water change and gravel cleaning since then to find the parameters like this today. Any help regarding decreasing nitrates would be appreciated, thanks!

Try a 50+% water change to begin with. The first remedy to try with any condition, disease, or malady is a water change. 40-160 ppm is quite a range. What method are you using to test your water? 40 ppm is safe for most fish, if just barely. 160 ppm is deadly after a time.

Oops! I read too quickly, sorry. Although I don't like to add chemicals to my tanks unless absolutely necessary, you might try a nitrate reducer if water changes don't help. Also (another thing I don't like to use), you could try activated charcoal in your filter for a few days.

Try a 50+% water change to begin with. The first remedy to try with any condition, disease, or malady is a water change. 40-160 ppm is quite a range. What method are you using to test your water? 40 ppm is safe for most fish, if just barely. 160 ppm is deadly after a time.

Okay, I'll do that in the morning. I'm using the API FW MasterTest Kit. I tested twice and both times I got at least 40ppm and a bit higher but 160 is definitely a stretch.

Oops! I read too quickly, sorry. Although I don't like to add chemicals to my tanks unless absolutely necessary, you might try a nitrate reducer if water changes don't help. Also (another thing I don't like to use), you could try activated charcoal in your filter for a few days.

That's okay. Do you know of any brands? I haven't heard if nitrate reducers before but I'll look for them. I have activated carbon running, is that the same thing? Should I still do the 50PWC ?

I did a 50% water change and am using Algone now. pH is at 7.2-7.6, what should I do about that? Ammonia and nitrites are at 0 and nitrates have gone down a bit.

This is pretty late but I stopped using Algone after maybe a week? and just did water changes and added some bottled beneficial bacteria. My nitrates have been at around 20ppm for months :)

Hello gupp...

There are several ways to reduce nitrates. Floating plants like Hornwort, Anacharis, Water sprite and Pennywort are good. These plants take in nitrates through their leaves and work much faster than aquarium plants that must be planted in the bottom material. Nitrate removing media from Acurel and HBH will help.

I immerse the roots of the Chinese Evergreen in my tanks. The large root system removes all forms of nitrogen, nearly as fast as the fish produce it. Plants are the best means of controlling nitrogen in the tank water.

B

Test your incoming water. I had a huge nitrate spike and my new water was starting at 50. Pothos will help (watch out if you have cats). Just stick some in your filter or at the top of your tank. I also grabbed some water bamboo at my grocery store and have that sticking out the back of my tank. (The stalks can be submerged but not the leaves.)

Back
Top Bottom