High Nitrates

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

scott0508

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi all

First time post, I have a 400ltr freshwater. I have uncontrollable nitrates. I run 2x aqua one aquis 1050 series 2 filters with an inline nitrate reactor with a 300lph flow rate through it.

My tap water has 40ppm, I have around 10 live plants I have used a stock level calculator and it has returned that I'm currently at 77% stock level

My nitrates creep up and up day after day. I perform the weekly water changes and gravel clean. Hitting against a brick wall here.

Any advice would be great?

What level are your nitrates? Also, what do your ammonia and nitrites test?
The fact that nitrates come from your tap at 40 ppm would worry me, though that level isn't usually unsafe for fish. But starting out with nitrates that high may make it difficult to get them to a safe level.
How long has your tank been up and running? Did you cycle it before adding fish?

sco...

Mechanical filtration does a poor job of keeping the tank water clean, because it can't remove the old, toxic water and replace it. You have to do this. Nitrates at 40 ppm aren't going to harm a healthy fish in pure water conditions. What you need to do is maintain a level water chemistry by removing and replacing most of the tank water every few days. Small tanks up to 30 gallons (120 liters) need a 50 percent water change every 4 to 5 days. Larger tanks need at least a 50 percent change weekly. Changing more water is always better.

Change most of the tank water every few days to keep the water chemistry steady and don't worry about the nitrates.

B

sco...

Mechanical filtration does a poor job of keeping the tank water clean, because it can't remove the old, toxic water and replace it. You have to do this. Nitrates at 40 ppm aren't going to harm a healthy fish in pure water conditions. What you need to do is maintain a level water chemistry by removing and replacing most of the tank water every few days. Small tanks up to 30 gallons (120 liters) need a 50 percent water change every 4 to 5 days. Larger tanks need at least a 50 percent change weekly. Changing more water is always better.

Change most of the tank water every few days to keep the water chemistry steady and don't worry about the nitrates.

B
Thanks for the advice I do perform 50% weekly by the end of the week I can be as high as 80 to 100 ppm

What level are your nitrates? Also, what do your ammonia and nitrites test?
The fact that nitrates come from your tap at 40 ppm would worry me, though that level isn't usually unsafe for fish. But starting out with nitrates that high may make it difficult to get them to a safe level.
How long has your tank been up and running? Did you cycle it before adding fish?
Hi all other water parameters are in check PH is around 7.4 no nitrites or ammonia. My tank has been setup for over a year, no new fish added recently, only addition is the nitrate reactor with a litre of media in there been running for about a month now. Tested the output from there I'm getting approx 20ppm but as its a very slow lph it's almost ineffective in some ways. I heard that I can mix R/O water with my weekly water change not sure whether to invest in a RO tap in the kitchen?

sco...

It might be worth investing in some nitrate reducing media. Acurel and HBH have good products. You mentioned plants. Are they they the floating type? Floating plants do a better job of using nitrates, because they take this nutrient through the leaves instead of the roots and will use them faster. Anacharis, Hornwort and Water sprite are good and will grow well floating close to the light.

B

You need to change like 90% all at once.
If you have been doing weekly 50% then the fish will handle it.
Your source is 40 so if you have only source then 40 is the reading.
Having 100 means that you can get lower by just changing water.
Not a little at a time,but the most you can at once.
100ppm with a 90% change should yield you around 50-60ppm.
Then more frequent 50% changes will work but you will always creep higher.Big changes.
Purigen is said to remove nitrates and is rechargeable.
Also possibly carbon dosing to control your nitrates like reefers do. It works in fresh water also.
Search Vodka dosing if you are interested.Really easy and small amounts added daily.

sco...

It might be worth investing in some nitrate reducing media. Acurel and HBH have good products. You mentioned plants. Are they they the floating type? Floating plants do a better job of using nitrates, because they take this nutrient through the leaves instead of the roots and will use them faster. Anacharis, Hornwort and Water sprite are good and will grow well floating close to the light.

B
Hi thanks for the feedback, I have no floating plants, my reactor I use has a litre of de nitrate media in it I have a flow control at approx 300lph running through it.

You need to change like 90% all at once.
If you have been doing weekly 50% then the fish will handle it.
Your source is 40 so if you have only source then 40 is the reading.
Having 100 means that you can get lower by just changing water.
Not a little at a time,but the most you can at once.
100ppm with a 90% change should yield you around 50-60ppm.
Then more frequent 50% changes will work but you will always creep higher.Big changes.
Purigen is said to remove nitrates and is rechargeable.
Also possibly carbon dosing to control your nitrates like reefers do. It works in fresh water also.
Search Vodka dosing if you are interested.Really easy and small amounts added daily.
Are there any side effects of vodka dossing never had any experience with reef or salt water. Only fresh water for years, 90% change seems very high is there any cons doing this.

Back
Top Bottom