High Nitrites and Nitrates

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

softmushroom

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So after a month of struggling with my aquarium, trying to get some nitrites and ammonia down. This week has been a miracle!!

As I began this week, my ammonia was dropping very fast to about ~.50 or .25ppm from 4ppm. I had NitrAtes already which was about ~2-5ppm. My Nitrites were at 0, but 2 days ago I added a few more ammonia since according to this Add and wait method article it said to keep adding ammonia and to see how fast it drops.

As of today.. Now my Nitrites are off the roof (i'm pretty sure) cause I cant even tell what the ppm is from the API test kit, since 2 and 5 are like exactly the same. And my Nitrates are heavy dark orange which I'm pretty sure it's probably around.. 40ppm? Also my ammonia levels are around ~.25ppm

Sooo.. what should I do? Should I do a big water change? Or should I just wait a few more days to see how things go/drop?

Also I seeded my filter with a used filter pad from my family members tank. Should that be removed?

Any suggestions would help :) Thank you!

I would just wait a little while longer. It takes approx. 2x as long to grow the nitrite consuming bacteria as it does to grow the ammonia consuming bacteria.

I would just wait a little while longer. It takes approx. 2x as long to grow the nitrite consuming bacteria as it does to grow the ammonia consuming bacteria.

Kind of confused on what you stated. I started out with good amount of NitrAtes due to my seeded filter, and now it's pretty much off the charts I believe considering the orange dark colored.

Kind of confused on what you stated. I started out with good amount of NitrAtes due to my seeded filter, and now it's pretty much off the charts I believe considering the orange dark colored.

You just need more time to grow enough BB to keep up with the nitrite production. You can do a water change if you want but it really shouldn't matter.

You just need more time to grow enough BB to keep up with the nitrite production. You can do a water change if you want but it really shouldn't matter.

I thought the nitrAtes eat up the nitrIte production?

Ammonia turns into nitrite which is then converted to nitrAte. Like has been mentioned, the nitrite conversion takes alittle longer to start depending on your tanks/taps water chemistry.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Congrats on getting nitrite! Since they just showed up, you can wait a bit on the water change. If nitrites are off the chart longer than 5-7 days or ammonia conversion stops or/and PH falls under 6.5, then you can do a large water change to get the nitrites to a readable level on the chart. They'll likely shoot up again, though, that's normal. The downside is that the nitrite phase is the longest, taking about 3 weeks on average (although if you have seeded media it might go faster). Also you might want to use this guide: http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...guide-and-faq-to-fishless-cycling-148283.html It's more comprehensive than the one you were using.

Back
Top Bottom