High PH

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ConVex

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Ive had a 10 gallon tank with a single zebra danio in it for around 3 years now and my ph has always been super high. (I'm looking to whip the tank back into shape after some things got in the way and I was forced to put the hobby on hold so to speak) Im looking for help into lowering my PH or to hear other peoples opinions on what they've done in a similar situation.

the tank is cycled, all other parameters reading normally.
thanks in advance.

Ive had a 10 gallon tank with a single zebra danio in it for around 3 years now and my ph has always been super high. (I'm looking to whip the tank back into shape after some things got in the way and I was forced to put the hobby on hold so to speak) Im looking for help into lowering my PH or to hear other peoples opinions on what they've done in a similar situation.

thanks in advance.
If your pH has been always high mineral tap water. The pH down product is effective and safe if used as directed, but if there are high minerals in your tapwater or if you have sea shells or coral in your substrate, the pH will just drift back up. Many hobbyist use driftwood and/or peat moss to lower pH, but even though the water will remain clear and not cloudy, it will take on a light tea color from the tannins.

Since the Zebra fish has survived for several years in your tap water, it's reasonable to believe other hardy species would survive as well. As noted above, adjusting PH with chemicals is a temporary fix. If your PH is high, chances are there are already buffering agents / minerals in the water that will cause a PH rebound. Most ornamental fish offered today can handle a wide range of water parameters.

Would you go so far to recommend that it is safe for me to add more fish?

I agree with V227 except for bringing new fish home. Most aquarium shops keep their water perameters around 6.8 and 7.2 and tell people it's 7.0 because a 0.2 difference at one time is harmless. But if the fish store is 6.8 and your tank is 7.8, the new fish are likely to go through pH shock. The new fish could recover from it with what just looks like tank change syndrome, but it could also kill them.
If your pH has been always high mineral tap water. The pH down product is effective and safe if used as directed, but if there are high minerals in your tapwater or if you have sea shells or coral in your substrate, the pH will just drift back up. Many hobbyist use driftwood and/or peat moss to lower pH, but even though the water will remain clear and not cloudy, it will take on a light tea color from the tannins.

thanks in advance.
What is your ph?
Mine is 8.4 -ish and my lfs keeps theirs at 7. I have gourami's, bettas, tetras, ottos, platys- (they like high ph) and all have adjusted to my parameters.
Hope it helps.

Do you have any rocks that you placed in the tank for decorations or any figurines tht didn't come from a fish store?
What is your ph?
Mine is 8.4 -ish and my lfs keeps theirs at 7. I have gourami's, bettas, tetras, ottos, platys- (they like high ph) and all have adjusted to my parameters.
Hope it helps.

Back
Top Bottom