High tap water levels

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Colwell

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I tested my water on Friday from my kitchen sink(I do not use this sink for any water changes) and here are the results:

nitrate 8-9
ammonia .5-1

Today I just tested the water from my shower(I use the shower for water changes bc it's right beside my room), these results are even higher than the first tests

Nitrate 20-40
Ammonia 1-2

Can I bring these levels down at all? I'm kinda worried about my 55g cichlid tank(19 mbuna +1 albino pleco) I do weekly water changes of 50%. The nitrate levels were at like 80 one day(I just got all the API liquid test kits) and that's with my weekly 50% changes. Im worries ill have to do them twice a week which may not work. Is there anything else I can do? I have a 45g cycled tank that's going to be planted so not too worried about that. Ill attach photos of the results although the pics were taken after the suggested time.

Attachments

• image-3907938406.jpg
    image-3907938406.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 44
  • image-1290499170.jpg
    image-1290499170.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 48
First off I've never liked the API test kits imo they always test high thats why I switched to the salifert kit its more expensive but I believe its way more accurate. Second get yourself a ro/di unit, that will eliminate your nitrate and ammonia problem in your tap water.

A reverse osmosis unit will take care of this. You can also prepare a separate tank and fill it up with plants. The plants will consume the nitrogen, then use the water from that tank for your water changes. You may have to replenish the minerals, but it'll work. Depending on where you live, you can do this in a back yard using natural light.

David

Some products will neutralize the ammonia and nitrite for you, or you could, as david said, use the reverse osmosis unit. Also, as he said, plants are highly recommended as they consume all the nitrogen. Also, don't over feed, nor give too much oxygen to the water:)

Back
Top Bottom