Hirocks.com

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

clowninround

Aquarium Advice FINatic
After the issues with the mantis's in the tank, I would like to purchase dry rock from hirocks.com to finish off my tank. I was thinking 2 30lb rocks (if they allow me to specifiy). I have no expeirence with curing since I bought both of my tanks used and they came with some really good LR...and when I bought some from Liverocks.com it didn't need to be cured. So here's the question. When do I need to cure rock? When it is shipped and has dieoff? Or would I also need to cure this rock?

You need to cure LR when you are adding LR to an established system. Whenever rock gets trasported, there is a very good chance that there will be some significant die off on the rock and this should be taken care to reduce the chance of a ammonia spike in the tank. If rock is shipped to you, it should be re-cured before adding it to the tank. it is very easy to do, just need a buckey, a powerhead, and a heater.

That stuff is just rocks. Nothing is alive on that rock at all, so no need to cure it, or do anything fancy. Rinse it off to get the dust from shipping off it, put it in the tank, and wait 3 or 4 months for it to become true LR as the LR already in your tank seeds the new stuff.

No need to really cure dry rock from hirocks. Just soak it overnight in some RO water to remove any dust or bugs that may have settled in it(I've heard it's kept outside). HTH

Great! It doesn't get any better than that, for a little more than $1/lb I can get some cool looking rock that doesn't need to be cured. the corraline and life should grow quickly as I already have 200# of LR in my tank. The stuff from LR.com came crawling with life! Shouldn't take long. I was going to get 30#'s of their golfball-baseball size stuff. I was going to use the smaller pieces for rubble in my sump. I was thinking that there would be plenty of life in the fuge to seed it.

I really liked the rocks from Hirocks.com. I ordered 30 lbs of "the best". I got 3 good sized peices They were nicely shaped, nicely sized, a lot of holes, and had "fossil-like" imprints of feather dusters long since passed. I got them for base rock for the tank...I really hated having half of the rocks buried in my deep sand bed. At least the live rock on top will be safe.

I just rinsed them underwater for a few minutes...and I saw nothing bad (bugs, etc.) come out of the rock at any time.

WC

could you get that rock and seed it with garf grunge to speed up the process?

If rock is shipped to you, it should be re-cured before adding it to the tank. it is very easy to do, just need a buckey, a powerhead, and a heater.

Hey Grimlock, what's a "buckey"? LOL.

Sorry, I'm not one to jump on spelling and the slip of the finger mistakes. I make enuf of'm. But really, I do know that the "t" is right next to the "y", but buckey is such a cute word, I couldn't resist this one. :lol:

Yes, thats how they seed the stuff they make. I got one of their rock making kits and made some. Only thing I don't like about it is that it is made outta crushed coral and I don't want that stuff chipping off in my tank. But yes, that stuff is great.

Back
Top Bottom