Hitch hiking snails and a new home

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

puhlfly

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I recently added some plants to a new 75G set up and found a few small snails. I am using potting soil under regular gravel for a substrate. All is well with plants after 2 weeks. I have however removed these small snails that must have come with the plants. I have a glass coffee jar with soil, substrate , and water that I used to test water chemistry befor using the potting soil in a real tank. I have been putting the snails in the jar along with clippings from the new planted tank. They seem happy enough. I Know many people just kill these nuisance snails, but I like tiny jar tank. Worls smallest snail nano? Could this work? Any thoughts on feeding (are leaf clipping enough)? What about maintenance? Will rotting leaves poison the water? There is no filtration and that is how I'd like to keep it (like a Betta bowl).

i've seen several people set jars, small tanks, tupperware dishes, etc in the window to encourage algae growth for snails. You could always just overfeed (flakes, pellets, etc... they dont eat plants, just dead plant matter), they'll reproduce if theyre pond snails, and set up a puffer tank :)

some water movement would be good for the plants. i would also wc from time to time. to help keep the water clean. get some sinking food and just feed them every couple days.

Back
Top Bottom