Hmmm.. Discus?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FWaddict

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey all,

I was have some questions about Discus fish. Well the thing is, I love my fish that I have now, and have had them for a while. But I think it is time I try something new! I know how "difficult" Discus are to care for. I have been reading about caring for them for about 3 years now. Just recently I thought about actually taking the plunge. I have well water and the parameters on it are not the greatest. pH is about 8.0 straight from my tap. It is also pretty hard water as well. I am going to purchase an extensive test kit to know the TRUE parameters of my water. As of right now, I use the test strips. They work well, its just that I think I need something much better seeing as I want to care for discus. I know they need a pH of 6.5-7.8 and was wondering if an RO system would work on my water. If I do get an RO system, are they difficult to set up myself? I can do water temp of 82-86*F. I have 2 heaters in my tank, one of them is currently off, it will only be turned on should the other one fail. I don't really plan on having my tank stocked with accessories to bring up aesthetic value seeing as Discus fish produce a slime and it is hard to clean off of substrate. What I am planning on is around 5 Discus fish, I figured an odd number would suffice seeing as if I just have 4 it would be hit for hit. From what I read Discus need about 10 gallons per fish. I am planning on having them in my 55g tank. What I would do with my current fish, is trade them into my LFS. They said I probably wouldn't get much for my current fish, but I am not really looking for money on it. I am just looking for someone that would take them. I would give them to someone that already has a fish tank, but I figured that they would have better care in an LFS. I currently have limestone rocks in my tank to increase the hardness alittle for my cichlids. But they will be removed when and if I take the challenge of Discus fish. My other questions are, Do they need special lighting? Would I be fine with a 50% water change a week? Or should I do the recommended 10-15% per day? How would you regulate the temperature in the water that you have sitting out? The reason I asked the last question is, is because what I read, it says that you should have a bucket of water with the same parameters, same temp, same hardness, same pH etc. sitting out for 24 hours. Would I just have to use one of my two heaters in the bucket? and would I be fine just feeding my Discus brine shrimp or bloodworms, what I plan on doing is flip flopping them, one day brine shrimp, the other day bloodworms. Also, would I be fine with my current biological bacteria in my tank? Or would I have to just start over and cycle it again? What filters do you recommend on use for my tank? The filters I have running now are a Fluval 404, a whisper 10, and an emporer (I think its 420 or something, its not big its a HOT filter). I also have a Magnum underneath my tank, it isn't running but if need be, it can. It sounds like I would have a really strong current inside my tank but it isn't. I know you are thinking "Oh well it doesn't seem like it to you but it actually is." The current isn't as bad as it may seem. Now if all 4 filters were running, yea the fish would be whipping around! I am just eager for opinions and suggestions on what I should and should not do. I am willing to take the expenses needed when and if I do this set up.

Thanks for reading, I know it was alot!

-Andy

First off unless you are planning on breeding discus, if you properly acclimate them they will be fine in your ph. Many people around here keep discus and our ph is 7.8. I do two water changes a week, one 50% and one 25%. The best thing you can do for discus is keep the water consistent and pristine.

What do you currently change your water with? Buckets or a python? I use a python and do not keep water in buckets to the temp. I set the water out of the tap for the correct temp.

My set up is a planted tank with sand substrate. I have no problems keeping the substrate clean. You can go with RO but should still mix it with your regular water.

I too run a fluval 404 and what I did to redirect the current is take the bottom piece off the output tube so the water current is directed downward not outward.

If getting the discus get 5 juvies and grow them out together. Juvies may require a bit more water changes to start.

I feed my discus bloodworms, NLS discus formula and tubifex worms. But have recently found out the dried tubifex worms may still be able to carry parasites. Will be researching that before feeding them anymore. I also supplement with fresh zuchinni.

Well my current pH in my tank is roughly 8.5 and I don't think that is safe for Discus. I do plan on growing them together. Would you recommend 2 50% water changes per week? I don't have a python, setting that up from the tap all the way to my tank is a bit difficult in order to do so. For your sand, did you just purchase pool sand from a home supply store like Home Depot? I am hoping to breed them, will they all be fine in the same tank together? As of right now, I don't do anything special for water in my tank. The water evaporates pretty quickly so about every day I have to add a gallon of water from a washed out milk jug that I have been using for over a year now. So you really think my tank is suited to house 5 Discus? Hehe I am so happy right now knowing that I wont have to be spending so much on necessities for my potential future fish

I did use pool filter sand. You could try experimenting with peat moss in your filter before setting the discus up in the tank to see if you can consistently lower the ph. I do know discus keepers that keep discus in ph higher like yours. They do not however have any success with wild caught discus. If your parameters are stable 2 50% water changes should be fine. If you have rising nitrates for example you may have to do an extra water change.

The main concern I would have is maintaining a consistent ph, I can't stress enough that discus do not like parameter fluctuations.

Are you planning on having the tank planted?

I am not sure about making it planted, I never had ANY luck with planted tanks so I think it'll be pretty bare :-/

Consider some silk plants then. Discus can get skittish so some hiding spots are good. Many keep discus with bare bottom tanks and nothing in them mind you.

Thats what I was originally thinking of doing was a bare tank. Granted its not good for aesthetic value, but I want whatever will please my discus

If you want to go bare bottom I'd still consider keeping live plants in pots. There are multiple benefits of keeping live plants in a discus tank. Not only will they make the discus feel more secure and make the tank look better IMO, but the plants will also remove nitrogen compounds from the water that can be harmful to any fish in the tank. I'd also consider keeping 2 BN plecos in the tank for algae control.

Back
Top Bottom