Ho to get rid of Diatoms

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dwayne.aycock

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a planted tank with low light plants. For the past 3 months I had to deal with BBA and now Diatoms. I have some nerite snails on order, but how do I prevent Diatoms in the first place. Once I have them, are nerite snails the only solution? Signed.......frustrated and confused.

The only way to "maybe" prevent them, which I'm not sure you even can truely prevent getting some, is to keep lighting down to 6 hours in the beginning and to actually remove silicates from the water. Problem is there is no silicate remover that I know of. Phosphate remover also removes silicates but you want some phosphate in your planted tank. It's a double edged sword.

I've had a heck of a time with then, too. Brownish stuff all over the place. Green and brown spots on my rocks. I know nerites help and I, too, cut down my lights to eight hours a day (down from 14).

In all the stuff I've read about the subject, I mostly hear that you just have to wait out it, for the most part.

I scrub, wipe, have nerites and cut my lighting. It helps, and my diatoms are decreasing, but it just takes time.

Back
Top Bottom