Hob filters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tigroscr

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I recently set up a new 75 g tank and transferred everything over from my 55 g tank including the existing filters. Right now I have 2 Hob filters I have a marine land penguin 350 bio filter and a aqua top pfe9 power filter. will these 2 filters still be sufficient for my 75 g tank or should I upgrade and get another one and have 3? I know it sounds silly but IME I don't think you can ever have too much filtration. I prefer the Hob filters versus the other kinds such as canister etc? I REALLY like the aqua top because it has a built in skimmer but the one I have is the largest for tanks up to 60 gallons or larger tanks with an additional filter like the Marineland. Btw I also have 2 bubble bars one puts out a lot of bubbles the other one has the led lights and doesn't put out so much bubbles not that this makes a big difference, but some of my fish including my tiger Oscar like the bubbles. :)

Why don't you get a canister filter? and combine that with the HOB filter!

but to answer your question. The two existing HOB filters may be insufficient for your 75 gallon. It was probably perfect for your 55 gallon.
But this tank is 20 gallons bigger, and you will probably have more fish.

Better safe than sorry, it's not like your going to over filter your water.
Canister filters are great. They work well and they are IME quieter than regular HOB filters. There are HOB Canister filters and non-HOB Canister filters.
A lot of Pet stores both online and standard stores are having clearance sales, or even just regular sales.
Two weeks ago I picked up a $179.00 filter for $81.00, it's big enough to filter 100g. Which I don't have, yet, but the price was so good and I'm looking for a 90g tank. When I get one I'll already have a great filter.

Get a good canister...the HOBs just cannot match it.

That being said, if you really want to use HOBs, buy a pair of Aquaclear 110/500s....nothing matches them for flow-rate, media volume, and media customizeability....they are workhorses, and properly maintained, should give you many years of service with minimal parts replacement.

Back
Top Bottom