HOB/HOT Skimmer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

paulhlee

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I need a new HOB skimmer for my 48 Gallon tall reef tank. Currently I have a Red Sea Prizm and have had nothing but troubles with it. I can rarely get it adjusted properly, and it is super noisy. I know there are tons of mods that can supposedly make this thing work better, but I'd rather just replace it.

My LFS recommends an Warren HX2 - but at $300 I want to make sure it is the best way to go. I don't mind spending the money; I just hate wasting it!

I've read up on various skimmers - the Deltec 500 and 600 seem to get good reviews, but about the same price as the Warren. I also hear that the Remora is a good choice.

To be honest though - I just don't trust reviews from the so-called professionals; its tough to get a non-biased opinion.

I'm looking here to the community for advice on what is the best, easiest to use HOB skimmer for my setup.

Thanks!

It's actually a "Warner Marine", not Warren. They're still not available yet, but should be here by "early March." Hmmm... it's March 22nd and still no word.

Anyway... I have a Remora Pro on a 46g and since my water parameters have been top notch from day one, I guess I can't complain. Not sure if that due to the skimmer or not, but I can definitely say the Remora is a true "plug and play" skimmer. Except for raising/lowering the skimmer cup now and then, there's really nothing to do or adjust with it.

With that said, I'm on the waiting list to get a Warner Marine HX2. My only real complaint about the Remora is that the pump is in the tank, which takes up an awful lot of real estate. I have the Remora Pro with the Mag3 pump, so it's not the smallest pump in the world. Between that and futzing with the impeller on the Mag3 now and then, I decided to try out the HX2. If I ever see it. (Sorry... getting tired of waiting around for it. Originally, the ETA was late December.)

HX2 availabity

Thanks for the comments. I'm puzzled why you say not available yet. I've had one in my hands at my LFS and another LFS in my area says they have them in stock.

I'm going to check out the Remora this week but I think I will end up with the Hx2.

Thanks for the comments. I'm puzzled why you say not available yet. I've had one in my hands at my LFS and another LFS in my area says they have them in stock.

I'm going to check out the Remora this week but I think I will end up with the Hx2.

My guess is that you're looking at the H2... not the HX2. The HX2 is the latest revision of the H2 and has a bubble plate and a wider mounting flange where it hangs over the edge of the tank. The H2 has a narrower flange and no bubble plate. Those are the only differences.

Nope I am positive the one I held has the bubble plate. Not sure about the mounting flange - but it certainly does have the bubble plate.

I'll run to the LFS today and take a photo and send it to you if you like. I think I want to pick up this skimmer, but I'd rather make sure it is the latest and greatest.

Well... you got me! I'm just going by the info I'm getting from the owner of Warner Marine that they're not available yet. And the fact that I have one on order and haven't received it yet because it's not available yet. But hey... maybe they just don't want to sell me one! :D

Back
Top Bottom