HOB protein skimmer question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Criptix

Aquarium Advice Freak
I live in an area where the power goes out on an avg of 3 to 4 times a year.I decided on the CoralVue Technology BH-1000 Octopus with External 1000 Pump for Aquarium Filter, 100-Gallon but one of the reviews said it overflowed during a power outage.All the other reviews praised it but this one review has me concerned.My question is: is there a skimmer out there that would never overflow in this situation or is it just a possibility that would occur with any HOB protein skimmer?One more question,would an internal skimmer be a better option?Any suggestions would be appreciated!:thanks:

I would think that the only way a HOB skimmer would overflow the tank is if the tank water level was kept too high. When I had a HOB fuge with skimmer on my 29 gal tank, I shut the skimmer (which then fed the fuge) off and then added water until I reached a comfortable level. Then I fired the skimmer up and the tank water level dropped. I marked this new level as my 'max running' water level with a grease pencil on a back corner. I then made my manual top off to that level.
Overflows are a cause of poor planning.

Back
Top Bottom