HOB Skimmer for sump?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

baron1282

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hey guys, I might be upgrading to a 90 gallon soon or a 75 I have not decided yet. The one thing I have decided on is that I want a sump tank for the upgrade.

I will be using an older 29 gallon tank for my sump, but was wondering if there was any design that I could do that would allow my HOB skimmer (Reef Octopus BH-1000) to hang on the sump and not on the back of my tank? If not, I don't mind it on the back of my tank.

I don't wan to buy a new skimmer being I got a really good one already. has anyone else done something like this?

You're pushing the limits of that skimmer on a 90, and BRS doesn't recommend it on anything over 75...

That being said, I can't think of any reason why you couldn't use it in your sump, just make sure to plumb appropriately for the input/output lines.

It's rated up to a 100 gallons, so I know it's the limit. Like I said, I have not decided on a 75 gallon or 90.

If I do a 75 gallon, I can keep my Fluval 206 running on it and my HOB filter I got. I got a Fluval C4 HOB filter along with my Fluval 206. I can use both to start the 75 gallon and do the sump down the road when I have more money. The C4 is rated for up to 70 gallons while the 206 is only rated for 45 gallons, but together they do a great job at keeping my 55 clean. I know they can do well on a 75 gallon for a while, but I know I would need to upgrade to a sump tank and I think a 29 gallon sump is big enough for 75!

If I do the 90 I would need to do the sump right away. So it's a touch decision. :p The only difference between the 75 and a 90 is more swim space on top. I already got the rock and sand no matter which way I go.

It's rated up to a 100 gallons, so I know it's the limit. Like I said, I have not decided on a 75 gallon or 90.

Your car speedometer is "rated" for 150mph or better, but that doesn't mean you should push it that far.

The reason that places recommend it for less is based on typical bio-load, etc that will be in the tank. Additionally, and more importantly, it may not be able to keep up with the flow rate through your sump.

And I've always heard that you want to try and shoot for about double with skimmers for really effective skimming.

TheTodd said:
And I've always heard that you want to try and shoot for about double with skimmers for really effective skimming.

+1. Always go a step above with filtration. (skimmers, hob filters,etc) rated to 100g or not, its impossible to give skimmers a single tank volume rating. Its normal running capacity is dictated by the relative bioload in the tank (light, medium, heavy) there are some websites that will actually give you 3 values for the skimmers they sell. Youd be best served to make room for an in sump skimmer and look for one rated at 125-150g.

So I will just go with the 75 gallon tank. That way the Skimmer will be fine for it.

I was told that I didn't need to worry about filters being I was doing a FOWLR tank as long as I had a good skimmer. I have filters I use anyway.

I got this

Amazon.com: Fluval 206 External Filter: Pet Supplies

and this

Amazon.com: Fluval C4 Power Filter: Pet Supplies

So that should take care of my 75 gallon filtration needs for a while. Until I get the sump up and running.

The C4 says it's good for up to 70 gallons, but I am going to assume it's really only good for 50 gallons. Than the 206 does 45 gallons. So 95 gallons of filtration should be good for a 75 plus the skimmer.

My Bio-Load is not going to be huge as I would only have six fish. I have five right now because my Six Line decided to jump though the SMALLEST opening he could find. When I upgrade to the 75 I will be getting another Wrasse. I don't know if it will be a Six Line. So we shall see.

I know, that's why I want a 75 gallon or 90 gallon. I got 80 pounds of rock in my 55 and while it's really cool looking and I think my fish love the hiding places and how they can pick off the rock all day long, there is not as much swim space for them. I have the rock in the middle of the tank so they are able to swim around it in a circle and though it.

Being I got two Tangs in there, I want a tank that is wider so I can make the rock more spread out and give them more swim space. I need to do it because I don't want to give up the Tangs. I was thinking a 90 because it allows more width for my two Tangs.

Before the Tang Police comes here, know that I got them out of a much smaller tank that they were in for months. I get tired of telling this but because of some people I always do. The Yellow Tang was tore up because his tank mates nipped at him, so all his fins were destroyed. They put him in a smaller tank but he was not healing because he was stressed beyond belief being in a small tank. So I bought him along with the Yellow Eye Tang that someone ordered but did not pick up (He was in a small tank as well).

So long story short, I was going to upgrade to a 150 gallon tank, but that has been pushed back. I can do a 75 or a 90 because I got the supplies I need to do one so my Tangs will have a bigger space while I wait to get the 150 gallon.

Mightyreefer Does that mean that if my skimmer says up too 100 gallons, but my 80 pounds of live rock displace about 15 gallons than that really means I have a 75 gallon tank? So my Skimmer would be good for that tank size? Something like that? :p

Back
Top Bottom