HOB versus canister filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

IowaGuy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a HOB bio-wheel system on my 30 gallon planted tank. With some great advice from this forum I got my algae under control in the tank, and part of that advice was to remove the bio-wheel portion of this filter. It appears to do a decent job of filtration, but it does agitate the surface a lot even without the wheel in my opinion. The filter is getting loud with time and I can hear a constant vibration, so I have been debating about replacing it with a canister filter.

Do any of you have opinions one way or another on HOB versus canister?

I started with HOB's like many others. I now have canisters on all of my tanks and I don't foresee ever having another HOB filter. (other then sitting in a box)

Fluval 206

Now that I've spent a lot of time looking around the site I see that we don't have to be quite so sensitive about naming brands :)

I'm looking at the Fluval 206. While I have had tanks for 25 years, I have never had a planted tank until the last year and I've never had a canister filter. For a 30 gallon, lightly stocked tank how often would you think I will need to clean the filter??

It seems that step #1 of a canister is to get rid of the carbon and maybe just replace it with extra floss.

I clean mine about once a month. (Or when there are a couple of dozen shrimp that need rescued)

I have an XP2 on my 28 gallon and it works very well.

I have extra floss (Purchased at Walmart) instead of the carbon just like you mentioned.

I agree with rkilliing1, HOB filter for me are a thing of the past. Canisters have much more internal media space and you can use them any way you want (chemical, mechnical, biological, or a combination of any or all three). I have used fluvals since the 80's. They are so vastly improved and right now I have a FX5 and a 406 on my 220g. As far as cleaning, its going to vary from tank to tank. You might be best to start by checking/cleaning every 4 to 6 weeks in the beginning and then adjust/lengthen you time between cleanings as you get a feel for how dirty, how fast your filter gets. Just don't go too long between cleanings as a dirty canister can caused increased nitrates. Also remember that in a canister you don't want to clean or even rinse your biological material (unless you rinse it with aquarium water) or you will kill your good bacteria. Good luck!

if I were to change from a HOB to canister, how would I get the canister media with BB? run them at the same time? My tank is on carpet in the living room, good/bad?

thanks

Tanks and carpets are never good but I did that route for 20 years! You could lay plastic sheeting or similar under filter but if you get something like a fluval that has quick connects with shut off valves they make little water mess. Little mess is a good thing carpet or not!

I took the advice on here and picked up a Fluval 206 canister filter. I have to tell you that I absolutely LOVE this filter!! My old HOB filter used to vibrate so much you could hear it through the wall, but my new canister is so quiet that once in a while I have to check to make sure it is running. The water circulation seems much better, and simultaneously, the surface agitation is less which should help with holding CO2 in the water.

And to make today an even better day, my anubias has a flower on it!! I have had live plants for over a year and NEVER had a bloom before. I had a separate post regarding a problem with algae, nitrates, and other issues and after following the tips on here my tank is looking much, much better...as can be demonstrated by a blooming anubias.

Great buy. My fluvals do a killer job, but they can lull you to sleep cause you can't see how dirty they get and quickly. Best to clean them at least bi-monthly depending on stock.

Back
Top Bottom