Holes in my Temple Plant?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DeirdreHoyle

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I just noticed that there are some holes in the leaves of my temple plant. Does anyone know what they are from? I have a pleco that sucks around on the leaves a lot and so do my loaches, could that be it? Could it be too much light? Any insight is appreciated.

Attachments

• Plant1.jpg
    Plant1.jpg
    255.5 KB · Views: 78
  • Plant2.jpg
    Plant2.jpg
    258.4 KB · Views: 70
If they are small pin holes then it's a potassium deficiency. What ferts are you using?

I'm not using any fertilizer..I'm really new to plant keeping. What ferts do you recommend? I'll go to my lfs today and pick some up.

If you have a small tank with lower light and only a few plants you can try using Seachems Flourish Comprehensive along with API Leaf Zone which will add some extra potassium and iron.

If you have a large tank then dry ferts are the way to go.

You've got a potassium problem as previously mentioned, but the light green/yellowish color of the new growth also indicates an iron issue. Unfortunately, growing fast growing species (which basically encompasses the entire hygrophila genus, to which your temp belongs as well as the wisteria) are really a draw on a tanks nutrients, which is why you absolutely need to regularly dose fertilizers.

Oh ok. Like I said, I'm very new to plant keeping. I just love having them because I think they make my fish happier and they look really nice. I'll go get some good fertilizer today. I need to dose it every day? Will I need to increase water changes?

Back
Top Bottom