Holiday dissolving fish food block..ye or nay?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cluckyholiday

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Going on holiday soon for 2 weeks.
Any one had experience with the dissolving fish food blocks? I have no experience.
Also would a timer for the light be reccomend? Or would no lights being on (natural light will reach them) affect them?
If someone does feed them for me, it's likely they'll not make 2 trips to turn off the light after 8 hours or so....[emoji5]

Thanks

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

holiday blocks

i cant recall anyone having good results with these blocks, they foul your water . as for the timer for the light, that is a yes. the blocks are put together with a flour like substance ,just feed them really good starting a few days before you leave and right before you leave do a really big water change or several small water changes so the nitrates and ammonia .arent building up.some may have other suggestions but these are my tips

Thanks for your advice. I will get onto buying a timer switch right away

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

I would say heavy feeding before you leave is not a great idea as it will increase the bioload the tank had to deal with and have the water quality drop much faster. I would recommend maintaining normal feeding and do a large (30-50%) water change right before you leave.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

i cant recall anyone having good results with these blocks, they foul your water . as for the timer for the light, that is a yes. the blocks are put together with a flour like substance ,just feed them really good starting a few days before you leave and right before you leave do a really big water change or several small water changes so the nitrates and ammonia .arent building up.some may have other suggestions but these are my tips

I agree about the blocks; they will increase hardness considerably and foul the water. Get an automatic fish feeder and a timer for the light and you'll be good to go. A big water change before you leave is a good idea but feeding them extra is not.

Back
Top Bottom