Home made feed for Corys?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

yaya16

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi All

I am a new Cory grower and would like to feed them a good variety of foods but commercial stuff is impossible to get now due to the coronavirus issue. I have dry feed and brine shrimp which I hatch every day but was wondering if any experienced growers out there have any ideas for homemade feed for bronze corys. Thank you!

Thanks. I do not live in the US (I am from Israel) and live in an isolated area in the middle of the desert, in normal times online shipping is slow and expensive but now it is virtually impossible to get stuff delivered here. I mainly need the food to condition the breeders. I was thinking ground meat in some form although I understand the risk of both bacterial contamination and water quality issues. I know that in Eastern countries they regularly use meat to condition some fish.

Ah, I see how that would require creativity.

Hard boiled egg yolk is a big protein food. You take the yolk run though a sieve / metal mesh. Then let dry for an hour or two till drid and like granules. That is for juvenile and adult fish. You can use a blender or morter and pestle to make a powder for fry. Some people use the freshly boiled egg yolk rubbed into powder for fry as well.

I have used human grade seafood for my fresh water fish. Mussels and white fleshed fish.
The fish is simply enough to cut up and then grind into a paste with a mortar and pestle. A mussel needs a bit of work to remove the stringy bits stomach etc. A little goes a long way with my tiny fish.

While I have not made this mix specifically for corydoras they are micro predators after all.

Nice, might try some fish as well, meanwhile I found some cory eggs in two of my tanks so looking good so far.

Cheers

My Cory eggs are always eaten by the tank mates. :( Maybe you can get an order in for a few foods and eventually they will come, and so you will have more options. I have seen some individuals use some normal fish food with additional found/gathered foods and blended together with a prepared gelatin, like you get with a Rapashy food.

You tube shows lots of ways to make foods yourself, and you could adapt it to your own ingredients. Maybe good ideas using the tools and cooking equipment you have on hand as well.

One thing I do make is ice cubes of greens for the fish and snails. Just fill up the ice cube spaces with garden greens, bits of blanched vegetables they might eat and add filtered water. Freeze remove cubes and put in a container in the freezer. Drop one in periodically. I should do this myself soon! I don't have any more in the freezer!

Back
Top Bottom