Honest oponion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Convict2161

Aquarium Advice Addict
Honest opinion

I have a 30 gallon with 3 cichlids and the wife is thinking about a 55 gallon(maybe) I'm limited on space. But I can get a 36-40 gallon no problem. Should I wait? I mean will the extra 6-10 gallons really make that much of a difference? I'm planning on keeping only my convicts and maybe just add more.

So I guess the question... Would you wait or pull the trigger and go get the 40 today! Keep in mind I can use pretty much everything from the 30 gallon, just have to look into the heater. I even have enough extra gravel an the filter is for a 75 gallon. I would just take from the 30 and add it all to the 40. Also of I did it can I just transfer the water from the 30 or do I have to start all over again?

Thanks!

One of the most important things to remember about tank size is its not all about how many gallons it can hold its about the dimensions of the tank. Now personally i would wait to get a 55 because you mine as well get the biggest tank possible if you plan on keeping them for as long as they live. Also i would not suggest 3 convicts being kept together due to the agressive nature of the fish. Because if two pair up and spawn (which is very likely with convicts) the 3rd would be harassed constantly (and very possibly die). Also more of the beneficial bacteria lives in the gravel than in the water so it would be better when you upgrade to add the existing gravel rather than the water.

One of the most important things to remember about tank size is its not all about how many gallons it can hold its about the dimensions of the tank. Now personally i would wait to get a 55 because you mine as well get the biggest tank possible if you plan on keeping them for as long as they live. Also i would not suggest 3 convicts being kept together due to the agressive nature of the fish. Because if two pair up and spawn (which is very likely with convicts) the 3rd would be harassed constantly (and very possibly die). Also more of the beneficial bacteria lives in the gravel than in the water so it would be better when you upgrade to add the existing gravel rather than the water.

Almost all of the BB lives in the filter media. So I would HIGHLY suggest using your filter media over. Only some lives in the substrate, but not nearly as much as in the filter media. I'd personally bring both over.

I'm about to upgrade my filter from my little standard aqueon to an aqua clear 70 for my 29 gallon tank... and I'm cutting out all the media from my current filter and putting it into the new filter so I don't' lose my BB.

I personally have 2x 5 gallon tanks and a 29 gallon... my next will be a 55 gallon... because as the other poster mentioned... it's longer, MUCH longer than my 29 gallon so it gives them more horizontal room to swim.

Thanks guys or all your help. She broke down! I'm now the proud owner of a 55 gallon from marineland. Now I will set up the tank where it's gonna be and let it cycle. I'm putting everything from the 30 gallon in it as well as some new caves and rocks I bought. I'm gonna run the filter from the 30 gallon in the 55 gallon for a while and use my old filter for the 30 gallon in the mean time.

Thanks guys or all your help. She broke down! I'm now the proud owner of a 55 gallon from marineland. Now I will set up the tank where it's gonna be and let it cycle. I'm putting everything from the 30 gallon in it as well as some new caves and rocks I bought. I'm gonna run the filter from the 30 gallon in the 55 gallon for a while and use my old filter for the 30 gallon in the mean time.

Consider yourself lucky. My GF won't budge on the 55 gal that I want til she gets a ring on her finger!

Man I hear ya! She got a ring, married and a beautiful baby boy! Well... I guess I got a beautiful baby boy too! Dante! Yeah my lil guy. Anyway I got the 55 and I bought a penguin 350 for up to a 70 gallon figured it won't hurt. It's nice, has 2 bio wheels and 2 filters that have the activated carbon in them. And it also has 2 more spots if I wanted to add more filters.

It's all set up after hours and hours. I'm letting the filter from my other tank run in the 55 along with the new filter. I put my fish in a smaller tank for now with a filter and heater and few hiding places. Then hopefully I will slowly add them in starting Monday. I'm gonna monitor the water today and tomorrow and see what it looks like on Monday.

I gotta say though... The water is crystal clear and that DB LED light from marineland... I'm in love!!

Well I'm a newbie and hopefully off to a good start of years of enjoyment from my fish. I take a lot of pride in what I did today, a lot of hard work and dedication. I can see why so many of you love this hobby as I'm falling more and more into it myself.

Well goodnight fella's and thanks for all the help!

Back
Top Bottom