Hospital tank ideas/help?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Garbro

Aquarium Advice Regular
Setting up a hospital tank with a 10g tank. I already picked up a sponge filter and air pump. Do I need a heater, substrate, or decor/hiding spots etc? How in depth should I go with that sort of thing?

For some of the medication I know the fish will need to be there for a while, so should I cycle the tank and keep it cycling? I already have a case or two of ich and possibly a fungal infection so I need to get them in there fast. I have a bottle of quick start that I haven't used yet I can use. If it does need to cycle and keep cycling, would it be a smart idea to keep 1 hardy fish in there at all times?

Pretty much I don't know how much needs to go into a hospital tank.

Thanks

With a hospital tank you need all the needed items, such as the filtration, thermometer, and heater. You may choose to leave the tank bare without substrate or decorations so that you can see everything-this is very good to examine the poos. BUT the fish would probably appreciate the substrate and some sort of hiding space to cope with any stress. It's completely up to you on that, really.
If you have another aquarium filter that can have the sponge filter in it as well, then it can get it's own good bacteria for whenever you move it to the hospital tank when it's in use.. Or you could just leave the hospital tank set up all the time. This will avoid the chances of a mini cycle taking place in the hospital tank anyway.
Hope this is helpful.

Ok, would it be wise to use water that hasn't been in my main tank? Or should I bring over some water from it?

From my understanding, water from the main tank won't do much as far as good bacteria goes, if that is your goal. It would most likely help with keeping the parameters almost exact so that when you do acclimate to the main tank from the hospital tank, it would be less stressful. You would still have to acclimate just as you would with brand new fish just to make certain that it doesn't harm the fish. This is assuming that the fish in the main tank are all healthy and disease free.
My current hospital tank is actually home to 3 fish.. Not sure what would happen if I should need my hospital tank for a sick fish lol

Back
Top Bottom