How can I hide equipment on a tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

venymae

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'm looking to do a 120 gallon in between the livingroom and dining room area, so all four sides would be exposed for viewing. I enjoy the minimalist set ups for goldfish like this and this but because the tank will not be against a wall, and you will be able to view it from all four sides, I need a way to hide the filtration equipment (overflow, intake, airline, etc.) anybody know of a way to do this? Or is it an impossible task? The lights will be suspended from and wired into the ceiling. :eyes:

edit: I've only ever used HOB or done walstead style tanks, so this is a new area for me! Also, this will be housing 3-5 Thai Ryukin Goldfish or Pearlscale Goldfish, so I would need lots of filtration.

1 There are acrylic tanks with built in inlet and outlet holes that hold the filter behind the tank and hidden by darkened acrylic glass on the back wall of the tank. These are designed to be salt water reef tanks. But of course can be set up as freshwater tanks. But these tank systems are expensive. And the backside of the tank hides all the fish, not viewable on all 4 sides.

2 The classic old fashion hidden filtration is a canister tank. Because only thing showing is the tube running down the tank to the stand beneath the tank. And a small inlet tube and sprayer output tube.

But if it fails all 120 gallons could siphon out the tank onto the floor. So the stand needs a large plastic (such as rubbermaid brand) basin inside it to hold the canister and all 120 gallons of water when it leaks. A 120 gallon leak can cause thousands of dollars of damage to indoor carpet, floors, and walls.

3 So, I only use filters that are wholly inside the tank, i.e.
I use two very large hydropond sponge filters, each driven by a powerhead. There is nothing on the side, top, or under the tank. It's all inside the tank. And therefore 100% Leakproof.

But there's no way to hide it, and it's big. This aquarium is 135 gallons 6' long x 2' high x 18" deep

Hydro Pond Sponge Filters | Central Aquarium System Sump Filters

If one side of the tank holds the filter (as in my setup), you can paint part of the tank with flat black paint using a small paint roller. Lets say to paint one end of the tank and 6 inch strip on the front and on the back of the tank. This only hides 3 of the 4 sides of the filter :(

So I think #1 is your best choice $$$.... :eek:

Set up a sump system and use a 4 sided overflow in the center of the tank and hide it with your aqua scape

Set up a sump system and use a 4 sided overflow in the center of the tank and hide it with your aqua scape

Brilliant! That way anybody on either of the four sides would have a view.

Somebody, someday, will make aquariums with one way viewing glass so the fish will not be spooked.

Brilliant! That way anybody on either of the four sides would have a view.

Somebody, someday, will make aquariums with one way viewing glass so the fish will not be spooked.

Pretty great idea there..

Back
Top Bottom