How can this be??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

julmaro

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 125 gallon tank with a yellow tang and a purple tang aside from some others. Last Friday I decided to buy two additional yellow tangs believing that 3 of them would not fight. My mistake. What happened is that the two new comers engaged in a constant fight and creating havoc in the tank. The old yellow tang and the purple tang are acting like police and each one is taking care of the new ones preventing the constant fighting. What I fear is an outcome of itch. Any ideas???:confused:

Return the new ones to the store?

From Liveaquaria: "Like other Tangs, this member of the Acanthuridae family demonstrates territorial aggression towards its own species, or Tangs in general. Therefore, it is best to keep just one Yellow Hawaiian Tang per aquarium, unless multiple Yellow Hawaiian Tangs are introduced into the system simultaneously."

If you can't or until you do get them out feed them well. Always have seaweed available and provide small feedings multiple times a day with a high quality pellet.

a 125g just doesnt provide enough territory for 4 tangs

I would also take them back. They are just going to cause you more of a headache then you bargained for.

If you can't or until you do get them out feed them well. Always have seaweed available and provide small feedings multiple times a day with a high quality pellet.

Thanks for you answer. I can't get them out due to the amount of live rock and corals in the tank. So I am taking you advice and feed more often until I hope they can get along better.:kiss:

Your main goal should be to get them out. Leave nets (big 10" nets if you can) in the tank around where you feed the seaweed (ideally on a clip). As they get used to the nets you should be able to get them out. You can also use a trap. It is not fair to them to force them to duke it out like a couple of inmates on a prison yard.

Back
Top Bottom