How common is it for guppy fry to be deformed?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lily1714

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My 7 fry are 4 days old and i was wondering how old they are when they show deformities and also how common it is for them to have one

umm i'm almost certain more than one was born, the question is how many survive. as far as showing deformities, that might take a while as it takes a couple of months for them to grow. what makes you think they will be deformed?

I keep seeing information on the web that say that the deformed fry should be culled and stuff. So is it common for fry to get a deformyity? Say in a batch of 20 how many wld most likely get a deformity

Lily1714 said:
I keep seeing information on the web that say that the deformed fry should be culled and stuff. So is it common for fry to get a deformyity? Say in a batch of 20 how many wld most likely get a deformity

Most live bearers have similar fry, I have about 20 swordtail fry(my second batch) and still haven't seen any deformities. I think it depends on your fish and how inbred they are but really I don't think you should have many deformed fry

Yeah, I started my tank with 20 guppies and 1 was deformed. I found a fry a few weeks later and it turned out that the baby is deformed. Not too bad. But definitely noticeable. Idk if it had to do with the male, or just being injured from being in the main tank, but it's not unusual to me, as this has happened to my friend too. I started to see them about 1 month in.

Back
Top Bottom