How do I clean my QT?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

roka64

Aquarium Advice Addict
After treatment, how do I clean it? I read on liveaquaria.com to use 5% bleach....
Do I remove the carbon and boiwheel? What 5 H2O do I change and such?

Thanks

Clown ICH treated w/Quick Cure, Aquarium Products, contained Malachite Green and Formalin, www.aq-products.com

He didn't make it, I must have done something wrong........

Rinse the tank and all the equipment very well in regular water first (no soap). Make sure you where gloves and eye protection. All except the biowheel and any media from the HOB, that can be tossed out. Allow everything to air dry for a week. If you are sure it was C. irritans you where treating, that would be enough.

FWIW, Quick cure will not help with C. irritans. I thought you where treating for Brooklynella?

If you are unsure what killed the fish being treated, mix a weak bleach solution 10 parts water to 1 part bleach and soak for a few hours. Rinse very well, fill with FW and add a good amount of a dechlor product. Swish and let sit for an hour or so. Empty and rinse everything again and allow to air dry for a few days.

Cheers
Steve

FWIW, Quick cure will not help with C. irritans. I thought you where treating for Brooklynella?

That was the only thing I could find at two LFS that had Formalin (the bottle didn't have a % of formalin, (can I assume that Formalin is already is 37% of formaldihyde/sp?). Everything was out of stock and would have taken a week to get shipped in.

I'm on well water, do I still need to do the dechlor product?
It is an Eclipse2 hood, had the carbon filter and biowheel "built in".
I took out the carbon, but left in the boiwheel, is that now toast (the biowheel)?

Thanks again for your help, I'm sorry the poor guy had to suffer.

Would you recommend a "standard" list of medications, so I can order them to have on hand?

roka64 said:
I'm on well water, do I still need to do the dechlor product?
Yes, the dechlor is for after using the bleach solution.

I took out the carbon, but left in the boiwheel, is that now toast (the biowheel)?
Yes.

Would you recommend a "standard" list of medications, so I can order them to have on hand?
That's a hard call. If you have a good LFS at hand, I would simpley make note of what they normally stock. I would buy as needed. If there's nothing in your particular area, you might want tyo consider some basics. A good general antibiotic like Maracyn II for SW and Cupramine with the corresponding Seachem multitest. If you are aquiring certain species prone to Uronema, Brooklynosis or Vibrio I would also suggest either PARAguard or formalin. Just be wary on buying formalin, it does not have a long shelf life.

There are actually many meds/antibiotics that treat a wide variety of ailments and conditions. It's really hard to suggest one above the rest as each can be specific or general in it's use and many more still can be quite specific in their use based on the need at the time.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom