How do I clean silica sand for new tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tigroscr

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I just purchased some silica sand aka pool sand and would like someone who has this as a substrate on how to set up in tank and clean. My tank is a 75 g and I bought 100 lbs of it but they told me I could return what I don't use.

I just rinse mine outside under my hose until the water runs clear then do the jet test, where I have some sand in a bucket spray it with the jet setting and see how much of a cloud there is and see how long it lasts, if not big cloud and/or doesn't last long I call it clean:)

And also how to maintain it and clean it I have a Python to clean existing gravel in tank. Could I still use this to clean sand?

AquaKai said:
I just rinse mine outside under my hose until the water runs clear then do the jet test, where I have some sand in a bucket spray it with the jet setting and see how much of a cloud there is and see how long it lasts, if not big cloud and/or doesn't last long I call it clean:)

Do you then let it dry or put in tank wet? Or does it matter? Someone told me since it's new to clean it and let it cure 24 hours is this necessary?

I have just put it in the tank both wet and dry and I don't think that it'll make too much of a difference... I only have one tank with sand in it and it only has some water in it!

AquaKai said:
I have just put it in the tank both wet and dry and I don't think that it'll make too much of a difference... I only have one tank with sand in it and it only has some water in it!

Do you know how many inches high it should be?

Do you want plants? I've read anywhere between 1-3 inches is good but closer to 2-3 if you want plants.

I put mine in wet. And to clean mine I put it in a bucket. And pushed the hose down to the bottom and the tiny cloudy particles overflow. I did that till it was clear.

No I have a Tiger Oscar and have tried plants and he destroys them! Just use Japanese moss balls and they don't need to be planted. :)

Oh and to maintain it you hover the gravel vac slightly above the sand and poop/food gets sucked up but the sand stays on the bottom. Some people stir the sand bed up real good first and then wait a few minutes before vacuuming that way all the "detritus" is loosened up and on top.

Back
Top Bottom