How do i clean this sand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mashpotatoes74402

Aquarium Advice Freak
Don't want pockets of bad bacteria, I don't wanna get the entire tank all sandstorms and stress out my feeeeesh, but at the same time I don't wanna use the gravel vac and ruin my filter
( magnum 350 has a gravel vac attachment it's pretty handy) Any suggestions? Something that can plow deep into the sand maybe? Besides a MTS

Maybe use dowel to stir the sand, turn your filter off for the time being. I don't have a problem with making a mess from my sand, as long as it is clean it should settle quick. I use silica sand. Your not going to stress the fish enough to die.

Moved to FW and Brackish- General Discussion.

IME the "pockets of bad bacteria" is an overrated phenomenon. It's possible, but unlikely. If you want, add some Malaysian trumpet snails to stir your sand bed for you. That's pretty much it as far as inverts that will stir sand for you. Or, just use a wooden dowel rod to stir your sand while you do your routine maintenance.

I'm not familiar with the gravel vac attachment, but with sand substrate it's probably not a good idea. I'd suggest a Python or manual gravel vac so you don't ruin your filter.

For the record, "Wooden Dowl" is fancy talk for a chopstick. I have a whole box of 'em that I use for aquarium stuff.

You're probably not going to have issues with anaerobic bacteria if your substrate beds are less than 2-3 inches deep.

Do I just rig like 4 chopsticks together?!?!?
I'd have to use at least four. Or dunk my arm in the tank. Which is fine with me just I got a mental pic of a giant chopstick

I have this same issue, not really an issue but something i have to take into account. I would just use one chopstick to aerate the substrate during your water changes as Scotch taping 4 of them together, IMO, wouldn't work lol

Well I clean the Sand spotless the sand settles then the next day I wake up and there's fish poo EVERYWHERE. I think it's the pleco. He's driving me crazy. I hate looki g at a dirty tank. I dumped about 15 ghost shrimp in after feeding time. Thinking te fish would pay less attention to them. They cleaned up a little but my crab ate like 3 whole shrimp within minutes. Dunno what to do

Back
Top Bottom