How do I do a10% water clean on my Biorb

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kriandor

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi all - first an introduction:I'm brand new to this forum and in fact to aquariums. After much searching to get my answer I've finally found this helpful looking forum.

We've just bought a Biorb Flow 30. Got the water in and heated, had the water tested, and added ornaments. As yet, no fish. We're that new!

My problem is the suggested 10% water clean and change every two weeks. It seems that I need a 10litre container for the 'old' water , and another one for the 'new' water. But how do I get the new water up to the right temperature? Do I need a second heater just for this water? Or can the fish stand the addition of 10 litres of cold water? And what happens when I have to do a full change? How do I keep the fish happy while I heat up 30 litres of new water?

Sorry for all the (probably obvious) questions. Best to have the answers now before we take on our new aquatic tenants!

Welcome to AA!

It sounds like you are cycling your tank right now, good job! If you aren't, read the cycling stickies on the Getting Started section, they will help a lot!!

Anyways, you should really change at least 25% of the water one to two times a week depending on the stock.

When I do water changes on my tank, (it's 25 gallons) I take the old water out with a bowl, and poor it into 5 gal buckets until I get however much I am changing out that day, then poor it into out sump.

The I go upstairs and get tap water and just guess and try and get it as close to the temp in the tank as I can. Then bring it downstairs, put it in the tank, and put some declor in it.

When I am doing a water change I have the heater and filter off.

Thanks Scottyhorse - that's really useful. It seems that I could use warm tap water as long as I can match the temperature, and add some declor.

I'll keep you updated when we start adding stock!

Back
Top Bottom