how do i do this??? please help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pstrew

Aquarium Advice Regular
ok i bought a brackish water eel sold as a fresh water eel....so i got him in the freshwater right now and need to start adding salt...i got to thinking how do i actuly do this...do i do it during water changes and id so do i only add the amount od salt to the water im putting back or enouph salt for the whol;e 20g tank i understand i should do this varry slowly only bringing it up .002 a week i need some one to help explain this process to me please

During each water change, add pre-mixed brackish water. If you do a 50% water change, and add 1.004 brackish water to the tank, then you should end up with 1.002 total. The math is easy. Always pre-mix with powerhead and heater in another vessel (ie trashbin).

what kind of eel do you have?

its a gymnothorax tile...sold as freshwater snow flake eel or freshwater morey eel....i did my research befor i got it and found its actuly brackish to full marine. it was in a freshwater tank at the store so i put him in a freshwater tank and am going to bring the levels up....now i understand i should only bring it up .002 a week im using instant ocean...is the way u explaind this going to bring it up more than tht?

It should if you calculate the salinity of the current water and the new water.

IMO you should bring the salinity levels up to marine water. Easier and more practical that way since you could use a skimmer and possible add a refugium to grow macroalgae (both prolongs water changes).

Moderate to high-end brackish water is pretty expensive when you start doing the water changes.

Back
Top Bottom