How do I make an "underwater tree"?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PepperidgeFarms

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I've never done plants before and am currently doing a fishless cycle but I found this "tree" and want to know how to make it?
http://waterboard.me/wp-content/upl...m-fish-pinterest-of-bonsai-tree-fish-tank.jpg
I bought a piece of spiderwood that looks like a tree trunk with branches and then can I just use java moss? I've heard about supergluing the moss to the wood but how do I do that when the moss is wet? Can it be taken out of the water to dry so I can place it where I want or just tie chunks of it to the wood with fishing line?

Also (dumb question) Does the moss tend to... multiply? Like if I bought some and wanted more will it spread and grow more or do I just buy the amount I need and it'll live but stay at that amount?
Any advice would be wonderful, thank you!

Yep superglue gel is the goods, it works with wet moss. The moss will grow out and you can trim it to any shape you want. U can also superglue it to round filter sponges if u want a perfect round tree canopy if that makes sense?

You Tube ' Moss tree ' and look for Dennis Wong....Actually look at ALL of Dennis' videos. One of the nicest and most helpful people in the hobby.

Also super glue gel will turn a bit white so dab it on carefully, but the moss will grow over it.

There are a number of ways to make them.

Practice on a couple sticks of DW to get a feel for it and probably some videos won't hurt.

here is one i did.

vK7rYNt.jpg

i used flat green scotch scrub pads and cut them to shape then like others said used super glue to glue the moss on and waited for it to fill out. i also meant to say i went with java moss but from other trees ive seen it looks better with weeping moss.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom