How do I reduce TDS in water?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Magnus

Aquarium Advice Activist
I bought a quick TDS tester, and for some reason I couldn't get a reading in my saltwater tank. All I got was 3 dashes: - - -

I am figuring I have something in there since I have a green algae bloom. Right now I was using R/O water from my home filter, which has a TDS of 19 ppm. Compared to my tap water at 185 ppm.

How can I clean up whatever is in my water?

Thanks!

Many massive water changes with. 0 TDS RODI water.

You should be testing your tank with nitrate and phosphate test kits (along with many others) not a TDS meter. TDS meter is only used for water not mixed with salt.

Your not going to get a reading in saltwater. The reason you won't zero from your ro/Di is so you don't have any contaminants. Once you add salt to your ro/Di water it will be off the charts.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Many massive water changes with. 0 TDS RODI water.

You should be testing your tank with nitrate and phosphate test kits (along with many others) not a TDS meter. TDS meter is only used for water not mixed with salt.

Sorry Dave didn't see you up there lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

TDS stands for total dissolved solids. Salt in saltwater is also a dissolved solid, just like nitrates, silicates, iron, or sulfate. Running the water from your tap through a ro/di machine to remove all solids from the water. This will ensure your water is as pure and pristine as possible, as many tap water is filled with either whatever your municipality puts into your water or even well/spring water full of many unknowns, to prevent algae growth and pristine coral growth.

The answer is to change out all of your filters and especially your DI resin. Your outgoing water should be zero TDS or close to it.

I bought a quick TDS tester, and for some reason I couldn't get a reading in my saltwater tank. All I got was 3 dashes: - - -

I am figuring I have something in there since I have a green algae bloom. Right now I was using R/O water from my home filter, which has a TDS of 19 ppm. Compared to my tap water at 185 ppm.

How can I clean up whatever is in my water?

Thanks!

The 19 ppm TDS will surely cause algae bloom. You need to install and add-on DI filter next to your RO filter and it will drop to 0 TDS.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom