How do seed dry rock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bax71

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi every one . I would like to know how to seed dry rock & if you can where do you get the seed

It will seed itself in effect once in the salt water once there and there is an ammonia source (when the tank is cycling, just may tank longer to cycle than live rock). seeding is a case of the bacteria growing inside it. Might also help by adding a couple pieces of live rock as well as the base rock.

You can buy dead/base rock. A lot cheaper just will have to wait longer to color up. I used 100 pounds in my 75 gallon and seeded with 20 pounds of live rock alond with a bottle of Dr Tims One and Only. My tank cycled in 8 days

Quarried rock like BRS sells is also good for seeding. You don't need anything but a piece of live rock to seed the dead rock. A dark bucket and power head does the trick.

i think you can buy a starter kit of kritters and such that will seed your sand and live rock, its not alot but its something.

alot of old school methods were to either use an old panel filter from someones established tank or to take a few cup fulls of their sand to kick start the colony.

i'm starting a new tank soon, been waiting for a top brace for a 72g from my LFS for 4 months now( yeah i know they better give it to me for free) which i will be using dry rock on, a few weeks before i put fish in i will moves all my water and rocks to a smaller temp tank for a few weeks and the rest of the water and sand will be going in the new system to seed that deep sand bed and the dry rock, which is mostly cycled now sitting in a rubbermaid bin, i just add skimmate every few days to feed the bacteia colony

Back
Top Bottom