How do tell if my UV bulb is still good?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Isn't there something in the directions that rates'm for X number of months? Why not just use that as a guide? Not sure how one could tell by looking at if its good.

Thanks for the welcoming! Well I don't have anything yet. I'm resurrecting a 60 gal system that has been in storage for 5 years. I now have the space for it and am trying to get started. So far I have it in my garage and I have polished out the scratches, fixed the filters so they no longer leak, refinished the cabinet, and replaced the filter media. I'm now in the process of re-plumbing the system with new hose. Once I have everything set up like I want I will venture to move it into the house, fill it with crushed coral and put water in it.

The tank consists of a 60 Gal Truvu
a Truvu wet dry system
Fluval 303 canister
protein skimmer
Angstrum (maybe?) UV sterilizer
and a bunch of power heads

I used to have an aggressive fish only tank. I had a Black Volitan Lion ~6", a Pink Tailed Triger ~5" and a Picasso Huma ~5".

I ran it for about 4 years and then had to move so I shut it down and stored it away under my parents house. Now I have the space for it, so I'm starting it again.

As for the UV, I don't have any idea how many months/hours are on it. It still puts out light, as the whole thing glows when it is turned on. The bulbs are expensive and I donut even know if I can still get a bulb for this model since it is about 14 years old.

Andy

Well with regard to the bulb. Sometimes it may be less effective without you being able to tell by visual inspection alone. IMHO, I would start with a fresh set of bulbs, this way you wil know when you fired them up and when to replace them. HTH

Back
Top Bottom