how do u frag an xenia?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mr funktastic

Aquarium Advice Addict
i got one froma lfs and it has 2 heads and i want to split it and make it into 2 seperate frags. here is is so u know what i mean. i was thinking cut it in half then elastic it to a new piece of rock? what do u think?

img_787031_0_632dee74fb94e9aabc764fab07c1f171.jpg

I'm not sure that you can just cut it down the middle like that....Someone else will have to chime in...I would think that you could allow it to grow onto another rock and split it then.

First, a word of warning! Xenia is a WEED. It can take over a tank quite quickly.
Xenia always likes to spread upwards before outwards, and to this date, I've never seen it move downwards. To keep it from getting out of hand, place it on a rock that is higher than it's surroundings, but has nothing it can extend and touch or it will grow to that point.
Anyway, this trait makes it easy to farm them by just placing a piece of rubble next to the branch you want to move, leaning the rubble against the xenia and a little higher than the rock it's on. Usually in about a week or less, the xenia will move onto the higher piece, separating in time, from the piece left behind. Once it has secured onto the new rubble you can speed the separation by razoring the strand running between the original rock and the rubble.
If you cut a piece of xenia from a rock you don't want it on, the remaining residue will grow another. When you let it move to a piece of rubble, there is nothing left to grow again.

If you just got it, I would let it settle for a few weeks. The way it looks, it might split itself. If it is healthy, you could split it down the middle and it should heal itself. Xenia is very slimy when cut so it will be messy.

Once xenia get established, it will grow fast as stated above. I put mine near the back glass or overflow so once it moves, I can just use a razor blade to remove it.

Back
Top Bottom