How do you deal w/ prolonged power outages?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dmolavi

Aquarium Advice Addict
With Frankenstorm bearing down on my house early next week, the prospect of being without power for a prolonged period of time is a reality. I have 2 UPS systems to back up my tank, one is a 750VA system, the other a 1300VA system.

My normal running gear in the tank:
2x Penguin 200
1x 200W heater
1x air pump
(plus the florescent tube light)

I have only one filter and the heater connected to the UPS system (I will do the light, but for much shorter durations than normal).

If my UPS systems become exhausted, what is the best course of action to minimize dead loss in the tank?

You will probably get frankenstorm worse than me I'm up in Vermont but it looks like we are going to get hit pretty hard as well. All I've ever done for prolong power outages was frequent water changes and if it's cold out keep adding warm water. I don't have any back-ups so that pretty much my only option keep changing the water to keep it clean and warm.

I figured that was about my only option. For a 56 gallon tank, once daily would be sufficient, correct? Thankfully, it isn't too cold here yet, so the heater doesn't usually have to kick in.

storm prep for aquarium

you can go get hot water heater blankets and wrap it up and layer blankets or towels over if you have time get a battery back up for your air supply

I keep a battery powered air pump around for just this reason , we have lots of power outings in florida with all the thunder storms

I keep a battery powered air pump around for just this reason , we have lots of power outings in florida with all the thunder storms

what brand? I see petsmart has one for $10, not bad for something that would only get occasional use.

I got mine at walmart in the fishing section , forgot what I paid , they are a life saver , literally lol

I have a generator that will run my tanks and most of my house. I'm even putting in a ventless gas fireplace to help keep the house warm and possibly the tanks from getting to cold too.

Yep, generator here too. Our longest outage lasted 8 days and at that time I had two 90 gallon reefs. I didn't lose anything and only because of the generator. You can get generators in different sizes for different amounts and a small one to say run your tanks, fridge, and furance or fans. They are truely life savers.

Back
Top Bottom