how do you guys keep a planted tank clean?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

calfishguy

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have a planted 29 gallon tank that I just cannot keep clean there is always gunk on plant leaves and sand and it makes my tank look horrible. Its well filtered with a ac 30 and c3 and also has a pH with a 240 flow rate. I do a 50 % PWC a week but can't clean the sand because there are plants all over and I can't clean it without replacing and moving plants which takes forever. How do you guys keep your tanks clean. I have no issues like this is my other tank and just really dont know what to do next.

Anyone. What type of maintenance or vacuuming do you guys do on your tanks?

I like to swish around the water to stir up the gravel in my tank. Then I just siphon water out. No substrate cleaning necessary. Also turn up my filter to max flow while I'm doing it to help clean.

What substrate are you using? The Floramax I use is lighter than gravel but heavy enough for me to run the siphon over it a bit to remove some mulm from the non planted areas.. otherwise I just do PWC weekly and having a team of otos and nerite snails help. Also having a good balance of lighting, plants appropriate for that lighting, and ferts dosing. Before when my lighting was too much and I didn't have fast growers to utilize the light and nutrients, things started looking ugly.. but once I got things balanced and fast metabolism plants, they help suck all the excess nutrients that would otherwise turn to unsightly algae and result in dying plants. A turkey baster works well on sandy areas and to also blow any substrate dust or sand off leaves.

I have sand with plants and lots of baby shrimp I do not want to loose. I started taking the intake pipe off at half way, removing two sections with the strainer, then I take a turkey baster and blow water at the substrate to stir up the gunk. The filter sucks a lot of the stuff up. I have an aquaclear 50 that I keep a fine felt pad under the sponge. I then suction off water while still blasting the substrate with the turkey baster. Gets most of the nasty stuff out. I then change the prefilter pad in the aquaclear and replace with another one. After I refill the tank, I leave the intake tube short to help clear the water even more. I leave it like that for about 30 minutes and then put the strainer part of the tube back on. Not as clean as vacuuming but acceptable while I am growing shrimp. I haven't lost anybody yet.

Thanks guys I'll have to pick up turkey baster next time I'm at the store. And try to really stir it up a few times a week maybe. Any other suggestions.

I just do regular water changes and holding th vacuum near the substrate, kinda whirl around in small circles. I dont actually put the vac down in the substrate but the gentle swishing around usually dislodges most of the mulm and the vac sucks it out.

I've a small power head in my tank. That creates a lot of movement in the tank and helps the filter do a better job. So my water is always clean. You can try that too.

I had the exact same problem you are having with the shrimp and gross gravel. I eventually gave up and switched over to sand when I upgraded my tank. It makes life a lot easier now to clean up. But in the meantime I took a filter media bad and stuck it over the intake of my siphon which seemed to work.

Okay I tried the turkey vaster and that does not work it jut blows the plants around and sucks up sand not the crud. I now even have brown crud nearly everywhere on the sand and on the plant leaves. How do I get rid of this?

Try using the hose part of you python maybe with a smaller opening it will have better suction.

Back
Top Bottom