How do you guys pre-soak your freeze dried food?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fish24907

Aquarium Advice Regular
So I now know pre-soaking the freeze dried food (i have bloodworms by the way) is a good thing to do before feeding it to your fish.

So how do you guys do it? Do you just throw the freeze dried food in a little cup full of your tank water and let it sit there for 10-15 minutes?

Just take a little water out of the tank. Drop in a pinch of the bloodworms. Wait about 60 seconds and dump the whole thing back in the tank. If some stick, I just swish the container in the tank to rinse out the bloodworms. I have a little plastic dish I keep just for this purpose. I use Omega One freeze dried bloodworms and they rehydrate quite quickly.

Oh great, that is easy.

So does rehydrating them get rid of all possibility of them causing my fish constipation?

And if so, I guess I shouldn't try to go for frozen bloodworms? Or would you still recommend frozen bloodworms over them?

interesting, I just feed my fish the freeze dried bloodworms straight from the container without soaking, and the fish like them just fine. I have about 50 or so community fish in my 55 gal, so maybe competition trumps food preparation in my case. I did frozen for a while. I would make the decision on whether your life allows the extra time it takes to prep the frozen worms. I have two kids, wife, dog, etc. etc., so you know what I mean.

I soak mine in a cup of tank water for a few minutes before dumping them in. Honestly, I have still heard of people having constipation issues with the freeze-dried even after soaking them. I have not personally had a problem, but I try to only put in a few so that just the angels get them and they have big stomachs because they are big fish.

I put some in a tiny cup and let it soak for a couple minutes, same as I do for frozen food, although sometimes I skip the soak for the freeze dried stuff.

I use the little 3oz bathroom plastic cups; add some tank water and soak the food for a few minutes before putting it in. I only give mine freeze-dried foods once every 2-3 weeks anyway though as I don't want to chance any digestion issues. So it's just a treat for them.

interesting, I just feed my fish the freeze dried bloodworms straight from the container without soaking, and the fish like them just fine.

There's no problem with the fish liking to eat them not pre-soaked but it does cause swelling in their tummy.

I take 1/4 cup tank water mixed with garlic guard or vita-chem and dump any food I'm feeding in there to presoak. The fish go crazy for the stuff.

Oh great, that is easy.

So does rehydrating them get rid of all possibility of them causing my fish constipation?

And if so, I guess I shouldn't try to go for frozen bloodworms? Or would you still recommend frozen bloodworms over them?

To answer about the frozen, you certainly can use them. I don't because the fish like the freeze-dried and because they store well and they are convenient.

Back
Top Bottom